Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default Tweaking my Dell Mini 9 with Snow Leopard installed - 05-04-2010, 11:23 AM

I am new to hackingtoshing but following a number of guides both on blogs, InsanelyMac and on this great site I have finally installed Snow Leopard on my Mini 9 with a runcore 32Gb SSD.
I have a number of questions which I cannot find the answer too or get conflicting advice, so hope that you guys can point me in the right direction.
1) I used NetbookBootMaker 0.8.3 (I am not sure what release as I cant find anything on the package) to install from a USB Hard drive. Everything appears to be working with the exception of Tap on the touchpad. I have not yet run NetbookInstaller as I am not sure if I need to unless this fixes the touchpad. The Wiki says run NetbookInstaller from safe mode, but I cannot appear to boot into safe mode by hitting any key when the dell mini progress bar is active. Do I need to run NetbookInstaller to unlock the touchpad drivers and can this be safely done within a normal boot of SL?

2) There is also some discussion about updating NetbookInstaller. Can this be done by downloading and installing the latest version? Do I have to remove the installed version first or just run the new package?

3) There are lots of conflicting views about updating to 10.6.3 as 10.6.2 was supposed to break support for the Atom processor! Is it safe to update to 10.6.3 using Apple updates or the combo update?

4) Finally I have a Dell Mini 9 with built in HSPDA modem(Ex Vodafone). Is there a generic Network Connection Manager for SL that works with the Dell HSPDA 3G modem?

many thanks
  (#2) Old
Default 05-04-2010, 05:17 PM

I'll leave others to advise you on the updating (or have a read of the threads), but there's not much difference really between the 10.6 and the updates. If you want to play then sure update, there are instructions out there but read lots and back up before you do it.
For the trackpad settings, first check your settings on the trackpad preference pane within "system preferences" may just be you need to set it up.
For the built in broadband, have a look at my thread on "3G and A-GPS" - there's a link in my signature. It includes some detail and also the modem script to use. Basically though it is pretty easy and all runs through the "Network" preference pane in System Preferences.

Mini 9, 64GB Runcore, 2GB RAM, Triple boot OSX 10.6.3, XP, Ubuntu Netbook Edition (via Wubi) 3G w. A-GPS. BIOS A00, big Chinese battery.

« Lost my bluetooth | Mini 9 / A90 SSD failure issue with OSX »