Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default Battery question... - 04-29-2010, 04:27 PM

Hello everyone,

I know there is another thread about battery life but couldn't locate it.

My question is, since my DellMinis are used less than my MacBookPro, I keep them mostly plugged in when not in use.

Will this protect the battery life?
I do drain the batteries from time to time with use and simply to recharge them.

Is this the best way to protect them?

I read that another poster's battery died after a month of no use but wasn't sure if he was plugging it in when the computer was in storage.

Thanks in advance.

I love these little computers that run OSX!

Wherever to go... there you are.
  (#2) Old
Default 04-30-2010, 02:05 AM

My dell mini 9 battery has already survived far longer and through far more cycles than the MacBook pro battery I have with nearly full capacity still remaining.

Suggest if you run from battery you do not re-charge till at least get below 75% . .ie avoid "top up charging".

Dell Mini 9 32GB SaberTooth-AA SSD, 2GB RAM, Camera, B'tooth, 16GB SDHC OSX 10.5.7
Macbook Pro 320GB, 4GB RAM OSX 10.6.3
Dell SC440 Q6600 CPU, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600GT GFX, OSX 10.5.7
ASUS eee1000HE, 10.6.2, with wifi card replaced with Apple card.
  (#3) Old
Default 05-02-2010, 07:59 AM

Would agree with the above. Obviously we all run almost to flat at times, but there are lots of stories - especially with the large chinese batteries like I am now using - that you should avoid going below 10%. So I follow that rule with the big one and generally take this battery to no lower than about 15% (which in any case under normal use I am finding is around 5 hours) before either swapping it for my Dell battery or plugging back in. My ordinary Dell is doing about 2 hours, but I don't know how old that cell is as my 9 is an eBay mini.

Mini 9, 64GB Runcore, 2GB RAM, Triple boot OSX 10.6.3, XP, Ubuntu Netbook Edition (via Wubi) 3G w. A-GPS. BIOS A00, big Chinese battery.

« 10.6.3 sound without much fuss | HELP - Vostro A90 Drive Won't Boot »