Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default 10.6.3 on Mini9 with 8Gb SSD - 04-20-2010, 03:21 PM

Thought that it was worthwhile to summarise how I got here, in case it helps anyone else;

I was on 10.5.7 for a long time. Bit the bullet and went for Snow Leopard with updates to 10.6.3

Installing directly onto the 8Gb SSD is VERY difficult, as you will need to create a custom install USB that does not check the disk space limitations.

I installed onto a USB HDD - as most people have one of these, they are MUCH faster than a USB stick and better to boot from.

I have a MAC, so I installed SL onto the USB HDD and then ran the updates, then Monolingual, plus the trimming mentioned elsewhere. I ended up with a 10.6.3 install of about 4Gb
I then installed Carbon Copy Plus and NetbookInstaller

I ran NBI on the drive, then disconnected from MAC at end, enabled Legacy USB on my Mini9, booted with the 0 option - to choose the USB removable drive.

It booted up and ran fine. I then ran CCP and cloned to my SSD.

On reboot of the Mini9, I had to fix the Audio, using the following thread;

Dell Mini 9 Audio with Microphone without VoodooHDA (Snow 10.6.2)

I then fixed the Bluetooth using the original MOD;
Bluetooth Terminal Mod

I did NOT use the Terminal editor. I used Textwrangler to edit the file and then ran UpdateExtra from /extra

I now have a working system with the ONLY outstanding issue being the Wake from Sleep, hanging after 10 minutes or so, that many other people have.
  (#2) Old
Default 04-28-2010, 05:15 AM

Hello, GreyPaint, thanks a lot for posting!

I'm purchasing SL now; I'll be following this.

« 77Wh battery, Bios A00, 10.6.3 | iPad not Charging on OSX DM9 »