Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default HELP w/install of 10.6.3 install on 8gb SSD - 04-08-2010, 12:40 AM

I need advice on how to update my Mini 9 to OSX 10.6.3 on an 8GB SSD drive.

I have OSX 10.5.8 up and running on the netbook, having installed via drive cloning from an external USB HDD using the old method (which I know no longer remember). My issue is that I cannot seem to clone the OS from my external HDD to the internal SSD. I install OSX to the external HDD from my MacBook Pro. I used Onyx and Monolingual to reduce the overall footprint and deleted unwanted fonts, voices, etc... I also installed those apps I want to access on the Mini 9 (e.g. Word & PPT). All of it is about 6GB on the external HDD.

Now, when I hook the external HDD up to the Mini, I can boot from it, but I cannot figure out how to clone the drive to the internal SDD using either SuperDuper or Disk Utility. I know this must be stupidly easy, but it's got me stuck for days and pretty pissed. I know it can happen because I've done it before.

Any and all help is most welcome. PLEASE!
  (#2) Old
Default 04-19-2010, 10:38 AM

Can you not use the restore tab in disk utility?
  (#3) Old
Default 04-19-2010, 10:59 AM

I di exactly this. I used CarbonCopy since Disk Utility failed, as did SuperDuper.

Works now for me and only takes about 20 minutes.
I have SL 10.6.3 on my Mini9
I also have iPhoto, iTunes, Office 2008, iWork09 etc.
I run Mail, Office, iPhoto, Itunes and iWork from my SDHC, using Symbolic linker - no problems.

I have 2Gb of free space on my SSD - and I could get more if I moved some of the library to the SDHC

My only problem is a dodgy Wireless card that sometimes requires me to reboot and the ~Sleep issue, that causes a crash every time I wake it up - usually within about 10 minutes.

drive clone, external hdd, osx install

« wifi dropout issue (0.8.4 RC1 + 10.6.3) | Failed to moint »