Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default [SOLVED] USB Drive goes to "sleep", Mini won't boot - 04-05-2010, 08:53 PM

I've got a Mini9 (actually, an A90) that has had basically no issues. A couple of days ago, I updated to OS X 10.6.3, and that seemed to go well. (It was waking from sleep, etc.)

Today I tried to wake it from sleep, and it hung with a spinning beach ball. I rebooted, and got the "no OS error". My assumption is that the boot information somehow got corrupted.

Now it gets interesting:

I have a USB key (same one I installed from) with SL on it, and updated it with NBM 0.8.4 RC1. I can get the mini to attempt to boot from the USB drive, but after seeing spinning characters (-\|/) on the screen for a few seconds, it stops, and the USB drive goes to sleep. (The light pulses, instead of being steady.) If I wait long enough (5 minutes or more), I'll eventually get an EBIOS read error (Block 0x0 Sectors 0).

Legacy USB is enabled, Bluetooth is disabled, AC power is connected.

One other note: this may be a hardware issue, as I've had the BIOS lock up several times now. I've even opened and reseated everything.

Any suggestions?

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

I forgot to mention—I'm starting a new job in another state, and leaving on Friday. I had planned on using the mini as an interim computer! Without it, I don't have a travel computer right now!

Well, I found the problem. My SSD was failing. After about a dozen more attempts, I got a SMART error for the SSD. As a last test, I removed the SSD completely, and rebooted, and the OS X installer fired right up.

The bad news: I need a new SSD.

The good news: I have (just) 60 days left on my warranty.

The ugly news: I am leaving for this new job in four days! Hope dell will get it to me overnight.

« Wife updated OSX and now no internet | Upgraded MacBook Mini to 10.6.3 and Coolbook no longer works. »