Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default Kernel panic at startup - Help - 04-03-2010, 06:21 PM

I have a Mini 9, 16Gb SSD, Bios 00 that has been running snow leopard 10.6.2 for a couple of months now. Installed using Netbookmaker & NBI 08.3 . This has worked well for two months, but has suddenly stopped booting. When I start up I get the grey apple screen for about 5 second, then the Kernel panic "you must hold down the power key etc." message comes up.
I have tried booting from my install USB drive, but usb does not come up as an option in boot options.
I have tried reinstalling windows from an external DVD, which is an option in the boot menu, but does not seem to be recognised.
So my questions are -
1) Is this typical of a dead SSD, and if so would replacing it & reinstalling be likely to work?
2) If not the above then has anyone any experience of this & a cure, or at least a way to get to a point where I can reinstall XP and start afresh.
  (#2) Old
Default 04-03-2010, 07:32 PM

Did you remember to enable Legacy USB Support in the BIOS

Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 2 GB RAM | 64 GB Stock STEC SSD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy Mode: OFF | Bluetooth: OFF | NBI 0.8.4(20100616212351)
  (#3) Old
Default 04-04-2010, 11:22 AM

Charley, you are a legend! I on the other hand am an idiot. That's what come of trying to do these things when tired after a long week. Many thanks

« HELP ! with install before MISTAKES!! | MINI 9 OSX Almost there! »