Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default Incorrect Battery Capacity in System Profiler - 03-22-2010, 03:10 AM

I've been noticing my battery life has been peculiarly low as of late. I've been getting less than 2 hours of battery life on occasion. I just went to look in my System Profiler, and under the Power section, it said that my battery has a full charge capacity of only 1275 mAh. If I'm not mistaken, with the 4-cell battery, this is supposed to be 2200. It looks like I'm getting barely half my normal battery life. Does anyone know a fix to this?
  (#2) Old
Default 03-22-2010, 03:35 AM

I think the only perfect fix will be a new battery. As you charge and discharge the battery it gets old and worn and loses some of its' capacity.

It may be possible to recover some battery capacity by fully discharging the battery and fully recharging it. Repeating this full discharge/charge cycle a couple of times may help but you will just be prolonging the inevitable.

If you Google for reviving laptop batteries you may find some techniques for improving the capacity but I'm not going to link directly to them as it depends on the type of battery (NiMH, Lithium Ion etc) and some of these techniques could cause the battery to get worse or possibly even explode.

Dell Mini 10v | N280 | OS X 10.6.3 | 1GB RAM | 250GB HDD | NBI 0.8.4 RC1 | A06
MacBook (13" Aluminium) | 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | OS X 10.6.3 | 2GB RAM | 250 GB HDD
Mac Mini Server | 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo | OS X 10.6.3 Server | 4GB RAM | 6TB HDD
PowerBook G4 12" | 1.5GHz PPC G4 | OS X 10.4.11 | 512MB RAM | 160GB HDD

« MechDrews Guide NBI 2; Alternate 1 & 2 Problem | dell mini 9 video lags »