Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default Finally I think I have it licked - 03-19-2010, 11:54 PM

Finally I have a totally working installation of OSX, it's taken a while but can confirm that you can get everything working.

Started with 10.6 retail - updated to 10.6.2, fixed the microphone and speaker issue, installed the file for the 5530 card. Removed the hibernate file (which by error I installed when loading the image), and lastly modified safari to hide the top bar in increase the screen realestate.

Now everything works - so thanks for all the info available on this site - you have made an OSX noob figure out how to get the operating system running smoothly

As a side note - 16gig SSD around 7 gig free which is not to bad!!!! - so thanks again for everyones threads and bits of gleamed assistance.
  (#2) Old
Default 03-21-2010, 01:51 AM

I coming around to apple OSX - takes a while to get used to, love the fact there is no anti virus, and once you figure out how to maximise the display to get the top banner to slide away when using safari and msoft programs like word. Yep and now taking a shine about to zap my 64gig win 7 installation for OSX.
  (#3) Old
Default 03-23-2010, 10:52 PM

OK will try a second time - forum kicked me out after 20 min's typing, curses to you timer!!!!

Have been asked what I have done to get to the points above - now I'm a noob at OSX and have totally relied on the information contained within this and other forums.

My key problems with getting OSX totally operational and working to my satisfaction was the various searches I had to do - hopefully this helps some people.

To install 10.6 I simply used this guide:

Installed this using the USB key method updated via apple re-ran the installer as per above instructions and had a working 10.6.2 installation without a microphone.

However I also managed on my first go to install the hibernation file which gobbles around 1 gig of space which I wanted back - if you have made the same error easy to fix simply goto terminal and type

sudo pmset hibernatemode 0

Reboot then..

sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage

This should now remove the hibernation file and recover your space. To fix the microphone I cheated a bit, OK a lot.............

The key is this file, ALC286.kext.

ALC268 legacy kext for /Extra/Extensions 32 & 64 bit - InsanelyMac Forum

I had to join the forum to download it - copy and paste it into your /extra/mini9 - while your there check the version for the appleHDA.kext make sure it's 1.7.9.a4 (it should be) now the cheat part is I never bothered decompiling or recompiling the DSDT file but down loaded Bikinifarms one (thanks for that) - which is here

Dell Mini 9 Audio with Microphone without VoodooHDA (Snow 10.6.2)

placed this in /extra (replaced original one) reran the updated under /extra and microphone fixed - have done this on 3 mini 9's (yep have 3 don't ask why)

Now if your /extra folder is hidden do this to unhide it using terminal typing the following.

defaults write AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

defaults write AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
killall Finder

OK so now you should have a working OSX installation 10.6.2 with microphone going to. To reclaim your screen real estate by hiding the top bar download.

Apple - Downloads - Development Tools - PlistEdit Pro

And follow these instructions.

Hide Your Mac Menu Bar and Dock for a Cleaner Desktop - How To - Lifehacker

You can do this in any application - and this will slide down the top bar, have used in word, excel, safari etc very handy.

Now to get the 5530 card working follow these instructions.

HOWTO: Using mobile broadband / WWAN module in OSX

Now everything should be working - I have linked the various instructions as these guys have done the hard work, all I have done is piggy back on their knowledge.

enjoy your mini mac

« dell mini 9 video lags | Weird problem when charging Mini 9 »