Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default Strange boot issue - 03-19-2010, 05:49 PM

I'm having trouble, with what appears to be possibly an issue with Chameleon...although at this point that is just a guess. Anyway, on to the problem:

DM9, with a 16gb Runcore SSD and 2gb RAM. BIOS runs fine, reports the SSD there and with full capacity. After BIOS the Chameleon screen comes up (V2.0-RC3) and the big Apple labeled Runcore shows up with it's countdown bar. Once it tries to run, there's about a second delay, and then an error message flashes on the screen for less than a .25 of a second, followed by a reboot. I believe it starts with something like "EFFI_INJECT.....(then maybe something like GET_DEVELOPER_STRING)" but it's gone too quick to read. Tried booting verbose, and it gets about 10 lines in before reboot.

To make things more vexing, it doesn't appear to want to boot from the USB drive that I made with NetbookBootMaker....which really confuses me.

Anyways, any help would be great. I normally use a Mini10v with a regular HD, not one of these fancy-schmancy DM9's with an SSD.

(#2) Old
Default 03-20-2010, 08:58 AM

I found the only way to get the mini running OSX way to instructions to run it from the USB key not from the disk and swapping around using -f

Above is the general guide I used once I had the image and the NBI boot & system fixer installed it worked fine. However the microphone and speakers needed fixing there is a large thread on this. Suffice to say that with some mucking around it does work and is a great little mac.
  (#3) Old
Default 03-21-2010, 01:22 AM

Thanks for the advice, got it working. turns out (and I knew this already, but my selective memory didn't want me to succeed) you need to have the netbook plugged in to AC power to enable USB device booting.

« Compress disk space | Please help - No camera found »