Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default Mini 9 goes to sleep when lid is closed and external monitor is connected - 03-06-2010, 08:54 PM

I am trying to close the lid of my Dell mini 9 so that the display shows up just on the external monitor.

I tried powering up the dell mini 9 with my external monitor plugged in and it boots up just fine but and the external display will show for abt 10 secs and then the laptop goes to sleep/display shuts off. Similarly, when i power up the machine and press Fn-8 before OSX boots up, the display shows on the screen, OSX boots up on the external monitor and then the laptop goes to sleep abt 10 secs later. And IIRC i cannot close the lid once OSX is booted up as the external display will shut down as well.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Info: My bios is A05 and USB legacy support is DISABLED.
  (#2) Old
Default 03-07-2010, 04:39 PM

I think you need to go into System Preferences, and there may be a setting that says Choose what to do when lid is closed.
  (#3) Old
Default 03-07-2010, 11:44 PM

InsomniaX should allow the mini to keep running with the lid closed but take care that it does not overheat as the keyboard is part of the cooling system.

Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 2 GB RAM | 64 GB Stock STEC SSD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy Mode: OFF | Bluetooth: OFF | NBI 0.8.4(20100616212351)
  (#4) Old
Default 03-08-2010, 03:57 PM

I have already searched around a lot in Power options etc. but i couldnt find a setting. I tried Insomnia but the Mini 9 becomes really hot as a result. Is there no way to do it normally?

I know that in macs if you have an external keyboard/mouse connected then you can just close the lid of the macbook and it automatically knows to just display on the external monitor.

« Preferred BIOS | Hacks, 9's and life. »