Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default Newbie with questions - 02-24-2010, 09:33 PM

I've got a Dell Mini 9, and I upgraded the SSD to a runcore 32GB. I installed OSX Leopard and all went fairly smoothly.

Because I wasn't aware, I ran a software update and updated everything that came up. After rebooting, the Dell won't get past the first Dell logo. So it looks like the installation is corrupt.

So that's not a problem, but I thought I'd update the BIOS. But I need XP to do this, so I tried installing XP however it seems that the partitions created on the SSD CAN'T be changed/deleted because I'm always getting errors in the Windows installers when I try to delete/format the main partition...

So my questions are, how can I delete the partition and create an NTFS one?

Do I NEED XP on the Dell to update the BIOS, or can I use another machine to create a USB flasher or something?

Finally, what's the best OSX method? There are a few, I heard Type11's is pretty good. What is the latest version of OSX that I can update to/install that is compatible? I have a retail copy of Leopard I bought for my Mac when it came out, so I can use this.

If anyone has some tips, guides, and help this would be much appreciated. Thank you.
  (#2) Old
Expert Member
Default 02-24-2010, 10:16 PM

You don't need XP do do the BIOS upgrade. There are recent threads here about building a bootable USB bios updater if you have access to some windows box somewhere.

Dell I910 Mini/Vostro A90 USB Key Drive flashBIOS Utility - DELL COMMUNITY

It can also be done from a bootable linux distro but that's a second choice.

As to the install, without question you should buy SL for 29$ and follow mechdrew's guide that best suits the resources you have.

Guides | OS X | mechdrew

mini 9 | 2GB RAM | 16GB STEC SDD | BIOS A06, USB Legacy OFF | No Bluetooth | OSX 10.6.7 | NBI 0.8.5pre w/ ALC268 | Broadcom2Airport
MINI Cooper '02 | 1.6L | CVT | Moonroof | Red w/ White Stripes

Want the ALC268 mini 9 sound fix? Get it here
  (#3) Old
Default 02-27-2010, 02:43 PM

As for the best method, when you have a Runcore and a Mac, you are primed for the Runcore via Mac method, look it up. It doesnt get easier than that.

OSX 10.6.4

« Dell Mini 9 OS X 10.5.8 Bluetooth terminal Mod | Wireless nic not recognized »