Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Send a message via MSN to null_x86
Default Vostro a90 10.6.2 /w Modded Kernel - Wont Boot - 02-22-2010, 07:03 PM

Hey guys, my Vostro a90 will not boot. Its got default specs for hardware, only thing different is it has a 16gb SSD, everything else is stock. I installed Snow Leopard 10.6, then updated to 10.6.2 and installed the modded kernel for Snow Leopard. It has been working fine up until yesterday. I turned it on, and it would not load the desktop, it would hang at the blue screen prior to the desktop image. I tried booting with -v -f, -v -x, -s, and any other prompt that would get it to boot. Today -v -x worked, but I have no wifi and no SD card, the touchpad is buggy and it acts like its running on less then 512MB Ram. I tried a live disk of linux and it runs just fine, and shows that I'm running 1GB Ram. Anyone got any ideas what's causing this? The last thing that shows on -v is the ethernet mac address and SystemShutdown false. There is a whole lot of text at first with -v -f that goes so quick I cant read most, but if I saw it correctly, it looks like its not loading some kexts. If this can be fixed without reinstalling, I'll be a happy camper. Ideas?

Dell Mini 9 - Obsidian Black | 1GB | 8GB SSD | 10.6.1 - NetbookInstaller Method | WWAN, BT & Apple Extreme WiFi
  (#2) Old
Expert Member
Default 02-22-2010, 09:37 PM

Not sure what the modded kernel is about.... you patched the kernel rather then use the newest NBI to get to 10.6.2 maybe?

Two obvious questions... Did you look at free space on your SSD? Did you repair permissions in DiskUtility?

mini 9 | 2GB RAM | 16GB STEC SDD | BIOS A06, USB Legacy OFF | No Bluetooth | OSX 10.6.7 | NBI 0.8.5pre w/ ALC268 | Broadcom2Airport
MINI Cooper '02 | 1.6L | CVT | Moonroof | Red w/ White Stripes

Want the ALC268 mini 9 sound fix? Get it here

« How to increase free space | three finger swipe »