Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Angry Install Snow Leopard from a portable harddrive - 02-13-2010, 05:49 PM

Hey everyone I'm having some trouble getting Snow Leopard onto my portable harddrive.

Let me be very clear. I'm not trying to install Snow Leopard to my portable harddrive, I'm trying to install it from my portable harddrive.

I've used mechdrew's guide, but when writing the image with the program, my harddrive doesn't show up into the drop down list. This is because that program scans the removable storage and not the local disks. Unfortunately, this harddrive keeps showing up as a "Local Disk" on Windows XP

I've partitioned smaller parts, formated to FAT32 with gparted, and tried to access it from Windows and it gives me errors about how I need to cleanup the disk. When it does work, I tried just copying the .iso file that I ripped from my retail copy of Snow Leopard and, no matter how big the partition, I always get a "this disk doesn't have enough space". Very frustrating!!!

So now my question... Has anyone succesfully installed from a portable harddrive? If so, what guide or programs did you use? I'm borrowing the portable harddrive I have now. It's a 500GB Western Digital. I'm not sure about the model number, if that even makes a difference, but it's the one with the big button on the front of it to turn it on and off.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
  (#2) Old
Expert Member
Default 02-13-2010, 06:10 PM

I did my install from a portable USB drive. I just followed the method with an USB key using the drive instead.

mini 9 | 2GB RAM | 16GB STEC SDD | BIOS A06, USB Legacy OFF | No Bluetooth | OSX 10.6.7 | NBI 0.8.5pre w/ ALC268 | Broadcom2Airport
MINI Cooper '02 | 1.6L | CVT | Moonroof | Red w/ White Stripes

Want the ALC268 mini 9 sound fix? Get it here
  (#3) Old
Default 05-08-2010, 11:05 AM

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but if you're still stuck with this you can try using TransMac. This works for me, at least for the 2 USB method. TransMac allows you to write a Mac/HFS image file to any filesystem. You can also use it to image the OSX disc.

I used TransMac with my copy of 10.5.6. yesterday and it works perfectly.

« Keyboard Functions Dell Mini 9/Vostro A90 | Changing Folder Icons »