Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default Mac OSX on a Dell Mini 9 - 02-03-2010, 10:48 PM

Hi, I have a dell mini 9, I want to install MAC OSX on it, I would like to know what i need and how to do it.
  (#2) Old
Default 02-03-2010, 11:06 PM

Check the guides here Dell Mini 9 Guides

Where it refers to NBI and such you should use the latest version here Downloads - netbook-installer - Project Hosting on Google Code

Netbook: Mini 10v, BIOS A05, OS X 10.6.4, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, BT
  (#3) Old
Default 02-03-2010, 11:21 PM

The guide there does not help at all.
  (#4) Old
Default 02-03-2010, 11:55 PM

Well, that's odd, because there are many of us who successfully used one of those guides. If you are confused, please post in the General Mac OS X Discussion section and ask your questions there.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#5) Old
Default successful guide - 02-15-2010, 06:08 PM

Old Full | Guides | OS X | mechdrew

I've used this guide on two accounts to install OSX on the dell mini 9. It's not easy, but it offers many different options to get OSX installed.

I used the Windows only method which required me to have 2 USB thumb drives, a retail copy of OSX, and a few freeware programs which are downloaded from the guide.

good luck.
  (#6) Old
Default 02-16-2010, 09:41 PM

There are many many guides online for installing OSX, it can get confusing especially if OSx is new to you, i am also new to OSX and have successfully managed to install osx after a couple of days of trying different things. Mechdrews website seems to be the closest thing to me from what ive read of a clear guide on how to do it, ive also managed to dual boot mine with XP off of mechdrews guide and have to say it is superb. (many thanks to him)

Guides | OS X | mechdrew

There are two ways to do it, via CD or via USB sticks, i have found that the DVD disk method is very difficult due to the hardware support of OSX that doesnt fully support all DVD drives and usb controllers. You may be lucky but i tried 3 drives inc retailed boxed pioneer, all them where problematic having to switch them on and off/not reading the disk properly and kernal panic errors.

The first time i tried by usb stick was successful and all the problems disappeared. You will need to know first if you have access to a mac if you dont (like i didnt) you will have to use the windows guide to making the usb stick, i used alternative method 2 as that seemed to work best for me ..... see here

NetbookInstaller 2: USB Mac Installation via Any Operating System | Guides | OS X | mechdrew

one thing i will say before you start you must follow the guide EXACTLY or its likely you will come across problems and repeatedly have to start again (like i did) With a little patience you will be very pleased with the result once you have managed to do it, OSX runs great on my mini 9 and is now my primary OS on this netbook
  (#7) Old
Default 02-17-2010, 01:27 AM

And the third way which I like the best, use a Runcore drive and install OS X directly from another Mac. One can be made in about an hour and a half and need no tweaks at all using the DellEFI1.2a5. Since Snow Leopard offers virtually nothing on a netbook, use Leopard, no headaches at all.

Oh and at the OP, if Mechdrew's guides don't help at all, probably a Hackintosh is not for you.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 64G RunCore | 2G Ram | Bios A05 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

Mini 10V
| OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 160G HD | 2G Ram | Bios A06 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

« no audio after apple upgrade | Problem with Update (Kind Newbish) »