Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default help with partially resuscitated mini 9 with flickering screen - 01-26-2010, 04:40 AM

I had two problems with my daughter's mini 9 six weeks ago. The screen 1/2 inch wide three inch long blotchy green and black something in the upper left hand corner of the screen. The mini 9 would boot up to the pinwheel and then would die. See the two links below if you are interested. I was thinking about replacing it today and decided to see if there were no clues on the forum and here is what happened.

I ended up trying a lot of unix -blank commands. -v followed by exit shut the machine down as did -s followed by exit. I do not understand why but -s followed by /sbin/mount/ -fy (I think) followed by exit allowed me to boot up! Go figure.

I have not shut the machine down since, although I did let it lock the screen and I was able to unlock. The green and black blotch is still there and, after about an hour, the screen developed a flicker that has not gone away. The flicker is a ghost of the actual screen that is about 2 inches below the top of the screen.

So what do I do? Will replacing the screen likely fix this problem or might it be a video card as well? I am willing to try to fix it but I would like to have an idea if I must do more than a screen replacement. Any thoughts?

One more thing. If I let the mini 9 go to sleep or even shutdown, should I expect the machine to wake up or reboot normally?

Another one more thing. I cannot turn airport on. Am I correct in thinking I should reinstall the mac os after the hardware problem is fixed?
  (#2) Old
Default 01-26-2010, 01:30 PM

The flicker and blotch may point to a broken lead (or more) in the display cable if they react to display movement.

The bootup problem: does it appear when booting with an external display connected? And (you have to use your screwdriver) the internal display disconnected?
  (#3) Old
Default 01-26-2010, 10:20 PM

I got the same idea and booted up with an external monitor.
the external monitor works fine but I still have to boot by hitting -s followed by /sbin/mount/ -ew / (I think) and then it will boot up. My presumption is that the mac os is broken. Am I right?

« Trouble installing on Mini 9 | Mini 9 Hackintosh has slowed down noticeably »