Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old

Default Problem with sound/No speaker recognition - 01-23-2010, 06:28 PM

Hi folks- I've had my mini9 for a while now, running on Mac OsX, was fine for a bit, but now there is no sound. It doesn't seem to be recognizing any internal speakers, and the volume control is no longer in the bar on top. No sound through headphones when plugged in either. Anyone encounter anything similar, or any thoughts on how to fix this?
Thanks
  (#2) Old

Default 01-24-2010, 03:24 AM

If you installed the 10.6 snow leopard, simply run the software update to update to 10.6.2, and sound goes fine after the reboot. I just did it that way.
  (#3) Old

Default 01-24-2010, 04:54 AM

I have the same problem running 10.5.8, installed a lil patch in a thread on page 2 but now i have no sounds after sleep

I think this has something to do with 10.5.8, because I did have this problem the first time I installed 10.5.8, went back to 10.5.7 after a format and all was fine
  (#4) Old

Default 01-31-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehjord View Post
I have the same problem running 10.5.8, installed a lil patch in a thread on page 2 but now i have no sounds after sleep

I think this has something to do with 10.5.8, because I did have this problem the first time I installed 10.5.8, went back to 10.5.7 after a format and all was fine
Does anyone have a easy way to just fix the sound in 10.5.8. I don't want update to snow leopard unless I have to. My girlfriend accidently updated to 10.5.8 and I just want to get the sound working. I've been working on finding a the proper kext file, but a lot of the information seems to be for 10.6.2? If someone could give me a step by step guide that would be great.
  (#5) Old

Send a message via AIM to augwell Send a message via Skype™ to augwell
Default 02-02-2010, 01:41 AM

I second tehjord and lasmiths crys for help.

no sound after sleep. I can reboot and get sound, but if I sleep - no sound upon wake.

Dell Mini 9 10.5.8 updated. Installed using a 10.5.6 disk via MechDrew's USB installation method. re-ran NBI after updates.

[FIX]- Copy a file called AppleHDA.kext from {/Extra/Mini9Ext/} to {/System/Library/Extensions/}
Found here: post 27

note: this assumes you have "AppleShowAllFiles" to be true.

Attached Thumbnails
Audio kext copy.jpg  
  (#6) Old

Default 02-02-2010, 07:23 PM

I downloaded an updated AppleHDA.kext from somewhere and copied it over the updated one. (I backed up the extensions folder first) Then I rebooted, got an error message about the extension folder permissions. I then went and ran permission fix in the disk utility (which took a long time). Rebooted the machine and I had sound again. I was still getting an error message so I try augwell's instructions to see if that makes everything work smooth.
  (#7) Old

Default 02-12-2010, 03:16 PM

I'm having this same issue with snow leopard, I just installed 10.6.2 and I'm having the same issues mentioned in the original post: no sound from speakers, the sound section of the preferences says there is no wound device recognized. Any ideas? My girlfriend is leaving for ethopia later today and I would really love to have the sound working so we can video chat in iChat. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 10:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

So I ran the remaining software updates (not OS upgrades but the other miscellaneous stuff) and reran NBI for probably the 5th time and now the sound section of system preferences is showing. Name = IntSpeakers. Type = DevShortNameOut. The volume controls appear to be working properly and there's no longer that circle with a slash through it. I would think the speaker sound would be working fine now but I'm still not getting anything. Any ideas? Thanks.
  (#8) Old

Default No sound on Mini 9 OS 10.5.8 with STEC drives - 02-18-2010, 12:51 AM

I'm having sound problem also. I have 4 Dell Mini's (preparing them for sons and wife). The 2 with RunCore, which were installed directly to the RunCore drive via the USB with a 2009 iMac work fine. The 2 installed via the USB method don't have sound.

Could that make sense?

Tags
fix, sound

« Problem with Update (Kind Newbish) | All Good :) 10.6.2 »