Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default USB problem with interrupted install - 12-21-2009, 05:05 PM

I'm attempting to hackintosh a Dell Mini 9 originally running XP. It has a 16gb hard drive and 1gb of RAM, running bios A00. I've done one with Ubuntu using the DellEFI method (several months ago), and was attempting to do this one via the Netbook Installer instructions ( using an external USB drive.

I was able to get OSX Leopard installed, then ran the MacOSX combined update file from the USB drive. It got to about four minutes left, then hung up. I allowed it to continue to run from that point for about an hour, then figured it was jacked up. I force quit the install, then tried to run it again, but it wouldn't launch. I restarted the machine and attempted to run the combined update again, but it wouldn't see the USB drive at all. I tried moving it to another USB input, but it still wouldn't see it. I tried a memory stick, but it wouldn't see that either. Hardware profile sees the USB devices but they will not mount.

BIOS showed legacy USB support still enabled, so I attempted to start over. It would boot from the USB drive and it did install OSX again, but still wouldn't see any drives once booted into the OS. I downloaded the combined updates to the Mini directly, but it still won't mount or run.

I suspect I got to a point in the combined update where it was trying to install or update USB drivers, but since it was running from a USB device, it hung up. Since that's the point at which I interrupted it, I suspect those USB drivers never got updated. However, that doesn't explain why the combined update file refuses to mount or run directly from the desktop. I can still boot off a USB device, just can't use one once OSX is loaded.

I thought about updating the BIOS as it's on A00 but I don't want to mess with too much more as I don't want to make things worse.

Any ideas here?
  (#2) Old
Expert Member
Default 12-21-2009, 06:30 PM

I did my mini9 from an external USB to the internal SSD so it's possible. Mecdrew has a newer version of that procedure:

NetbookInstaller 1: USB Installation via Mac | Guides | OS X | mechdrew

Not sure how they differ but I'd follow the latest and greatest.

NB: My mini 9 came with BIOS A05 which is the latest and greatest.

mini 9 | 2GB RAM | 16GB STEC SDD | BIOS A06, USB Legacy OFF | No Bluetooth | OSX 10.6.7 | NBI 0.8.5pre w/ ALC268 | Broadcom2Airport
MINI Cooper '02 | 1.6L | CVT | Moonroof | Red w/ White Stripes

Want the ALC268 mini 9 sound fix? Get it here
  (#3) Old
Default 12-21-2009, 06:39 PM

Thanks for that link. It does appear that the procedure is the same as what I'm following, and I'm going to Leopard rather than Snow Leopard so the combo update file should be the same.

I'm trying once more to start from scratch. We'll see what happens. If this fails, I think the BIOS flash is my next step.

Anybody have a handy link to instructions on flashing BIOS from an OSX Mini 9?
  (#4) Old
Default 12-21-2009, 08:54 PM

Go figure. I guess the third time's the charm! I tried once more to start over. Wiped the drive, then partitioned and did the whole thing again. This time it recognized my USB drive when it rebooted after the OS install, so I copied the combo update file to the desktop before running. It ran just fine (went to lunch during the install so don't know if it hung on the 4 minute mark or not). I did get a mach_kernel error upon initial boot after performing all the steps, but it was an easy fix with the troubleshooting guide.

Now I'm all set! Just have to remember how I got sleep mode working on my original Mini 9 hack!

« Problems: No sound with Bluetooth, no force sleep on low battery | New member, couple questions. »