Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default Problems: No sound with Bluetooth, no force sleep on low battery - 12-21-2009, 12:21 PM

I am running 10.5.8 on a DellMini 9 with a 16GB runcore ssd and netbookinstaller 0.8.3 RC4. In General, this works just great, I only have two problems:

I can successfully pair my stereo A2DP headset or normal headset, it will show up in the BT menu, but I cannot connect/use it. When I select "use headphones" from the menu, nothing happens.
It will show an active connection to the device for a short period if I select "Update Device Services" from the Bluetooth preference panel, but that's all.
I can, however, browse the files from my mobile phone, so connection to other BT-services works.
It remember A2DP sound did work using DellEfi but it was crackling/distorted.
Maybe I can exchange the KEXTs for these Services? I would really appreciate some help here..

>Force sleep on low battery
On my original Mac, when the battery is below 5% there is a warning and after some time the computer will force-sleep.
This doesn't work on my Dell-Mini. There will be the same warning but the computer just runs till the battery is completely empty and is switching off suddenly.
I could not find much about that. So maybe this is a known limitation to this configuration?
Otherwise I really would like to activate the force sleep if, lets say, the battery reaches 3% or so. Any hints?
  (#2) Old
Send a message via AIM to meklort Send a message via MSN to meklort Send a message via Yahoo to meklort
Default 12-21-2009, 05:08 PM

The system management controller (SMC) on a real mac is what forces the machine to sleep. This happens because the battery doesn't report reliable information, so the smc take over that function. I *could* modify the battery kext so that it forces sleep at a certain percentage, bet again, it's unreliable and may still have 30 minutes of life left, or may never even reach that percentage before it dies.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 2 GB RAM | 32 GB Buffalo SSD | BIOS A05
Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | BIOS A06
My Blog | NetbookInstaller code repository | NetbookInstaller Website | Want a invite? message me.
  (#3) Old
Default 12-21-2009, 06:47 PM

Hi Meklort, thanks for the fast reply, and thanks for netbookinstaller, it's an amazing piece of work.

Back to force sleep: you are right about lack of reliability. In my case, if the battery shows zero percent it will still run for a considerable amount of time (here it is never the other way round, shutting off before zero).

But I would always trade in this extra runtime for safety sleep time. So here's my suggestion: If the battery behavior is repeatable in general (it _is_ on my machine) then it would be great to have a force-sleep parameter.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.5.8 | 1 GB RAM | 16 GB Runcore SSD | BIOS A05

« Help! I installed updates and now I can't reboot | USB problem with interrupted install »