Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default Bluetooth Terminal Mod - the non-Terminal way - 12-17-2009, 12:44 PM

I don't consider myself a hacker really. I'm just a guy who wants to run OS X on his Mini 9. I wanted to use Bluetooth for tethering and found the Bluetooth Terminal Mod. I'm not familiar with the Terminal at all. So, I did it the following way:

You will need the Kext Helper, a little GUI App for installing kernel extensions. Donwload it here: Kext Helper b7

I went to that plist in the Finder under /System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController.kext/Contents/Info.plist . When you come to those Lego bricks iconed .kext files, don't double click them to open, but right click them and choose "Show content".

When you're at the plist, back it up first e.g. by right clicking it, chosing "Duplicate" and dragging the copy to your Desktop. Then just double click it (the original one), to open in TextEdit. Look for the lines described in the original thread and change them accordingly. Watch out there are lots of entries which look all alike. The distinguishing part is "37A" in "<key>Broadcom2046FamilyUSBBluetoothHCIController_ 37A</key>". (If you have a different manufacturer and don't know how to convert the IDs to decimal integers, try Wolfram|Alpha. Enter "convert xyz to decimal".) Save the plist and close TextEdit.

Now open the Kext Helper and go back to /System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/. Drag the BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController.kext from there into the Kext Helper. Enter your root password, reboot and that should be it.

bluetooth, bluetooth terminal mod, dell mini 9, hackintosh, tethering

« Defining "sleep" on OS X Snow Leopard install - Vostro A90 | Problem with NetbookInstaller 2 »