Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default EASY: 10.6 SL Install on 8GB SSD - 12-16-2009, 04:03 AM

1) Prepare a 8GB USB flash drive with a snow leopard install (eg: see mechdrew netbookinstaller 1 guide, using netbookbootmaker)
2) Perform the install to a second external USB flash drive/USB hard disk of at least 16gb capacity
3) While installing snow leopard, deselect all options and just leave the core. It will claim it needs just over 8GB to install (which is why you cant get it to install direct to the SSD) but when the install is finished it will actually only result in 3.8g of usage.
4) remove the install usb drive, and boot from the second usb flash/hd. When you are up and running, use carbon copy cloner to clone the external usb flash/hd to the internal SSD
5) before you reboot, download netbookinstaller and tell it to install to your SSD, selecting all options you are interested in, but at least vostra a90 and bootloader installer

When it's all said and done you should have 2.9gb of space left. Not bad.

Ta da! 10.6 running perfectly and quick on a stock $184 Vostro. Well that is how much mine was. Woo!

$ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
/dev/disk0s2 6.8Gi 3.8Gi 2.9Gi 57% /
devfs 109Ki 109Ki 0Bi 100% /dev
map -hosts 0Bi 0Bi 0Bi 100% /net
map auto_home 0Bi 0Bi 0Bi 100% /home
  (#2) Old
Default 12-16-2009, 03:51 PM

Yes I agree on this. I actually bought 16G SSDs for mine and after the 10.6.2 install it has only used 4.5G which would be fine on the 8G SSD if I had gone this route. For some reason when I installed 10.5.8 I couldn't get it to near this small of an install.

Anyway I have the 16G SSDs now so 2 x 8G SSD for sale if anyone needs them
  (#3) Old
Default 12-19-2009, 04:04 PM

trickstar, I am attempting your method but my install is locking up somewhere in the middle. I'm installing to a 16GB SD/USB and of course it takes much longer since I am writing to a card, but somewhere along the way, while the screen goes black, it is locking up and I can't turn the screensaver off to see which point. Any suggestions? Using full retail for everything, and NBI 083 RC3. Thanks for any help.
  (#4) Old
Default 12-24-2009, 05:26 AM

Trickstar- Thanks for posting this up! I had read over the: NetbookInstaller 2: USB Mac Installation via Any Operating System Guide many times in confusion to see where is the section that explains how to install on an 8GB SSD because SL needs 8.01gb to install and I only had about 7.63gb avail after format and partioning it. Your post below helped me get everything going with my external HDD and cloning it to my ssd.

(#5) Old
Default 12-24-2009, 10:56 PM

iv gotten SL on my external harddrive but when i try booting into it it takes forever to get to the apple and spinning pin wheel then it gets stuck at a gray screen please help

« Webcam use causing crashing | Update to RC 5? »