Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#11) Old
Default 12-13-2009, 10:54 AM

go into terminal and type: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

this will disable hibernation and sleep. after the command is executed, delete the sleepimage with: sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage

reboot and you should have another 2gb of free space.
  (#12) Old
Default 12-13-2009, 03:39 PM

This thread mentions a way to disable sleep and recover the space.

Open a terminal and run:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
cd /var/vm
sudo rm sleepimage
  (#13) Old
Default 12-14-2009, 04:16 AM

That seemed to have worked perfectly and was uber-easy. Thanks for posting!! Saved me the time of researching.
  (#14) Old
Default 12-14-2009, 04:31 PM

I don't know what you guys are loading, but I loaded 10.6.2 onto a SSD and it took less than 4GB.
Once you have installed SL:
- run Monolingual, and remove all non-US languages, Input Methods, and non-Intel Architectures
- Remove all the non-US fonts. Also, DO NOT allow Office to install their several GB of font files, as it slows down program launch quite a lot.
- Get rid of the Alex voice - it's 600MB all by itself.
And, then you can start erasing unused screen backgrounds and screen savers that won't fit in 1024x600, etc., etc. I got down to 3.8GB with just the previous tips.
  (#15) Old
Default 12-14-2009, 07:35 PM

Re: OP and lack of space: yeah, totally spaced the occasional "phantom" sleep image. And it's in my install checklist.

As for using monolingual in addition to some of the manual deletes (like Alexa voice, etc): you can slim stuff down quite well that way. I'm sitting at 5.8GB used (base OS + additional programs + user data). But a couple of caveats.

Seem to recall a thread on the board where you want to be very careful with removing the input methods: that caused some major grief for some people, requiring a complete install.

Same re: binary stripping other architectures: occasionally, you get one that does not behave well when that happens. Seem to recall Office might be one such app.

Another place to save disk space, if you use Safari, is to "disable" the web page image caching that is used by history and top-sites. Those jpegs of each web site you hit eat up space, and could be embarrassing.

1) If Safari up and running: Safari > Empty Cache…, then Quit Safari
2) Bring up terminal
3) cd ~/Library/Caches/ Previews
4) Remove everything in this folder (rm *)
5) cd ..
6) rm Cache.db
7) chmod a-w Webpage* .
(yes, there is a space and a period after Webpage*)

Out of habit, I try to remember to run Safari Empty Cache every now and then to a) try to free up space b) flush any old app related stuff (eg. Java jar or webstart files). Might not be doing much in the disk space realm, probably does more for stability of web-based applications. Overall, doesn't hurt anything.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | 2GB | 16GB STEC | .3Mp | No BT |
BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: OFF | Bluetooth: OFF | NBI .8.4 RC1.1 (20100616212351)
Sleep: Working | Speakers: Working | Headphone Jack: Working
  (#16) Old
Default 12-15-2009, 08:14 AM

Any idea what this 4.8gb of "Miscellaneous used space" is in grand perspective? This may be where a chunk of my drive is going....

« Mini shuts down after grey apple logo screen! HELP! | Installing SL on Mini9 with a 8gb SSD »