Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default 8G A90 space problems trying to update to 10.5.6 - 12-10-2009, 03:22 PM

Hi Folks

I'm having trouble getting OSX (Leopard or SL) installed on my 8G A90. The main reason I am posting to to get some feedback about my partitioning because Disk Utility shows it only using 6.83GB (502.2MB available). After running monolingual I only have 1.42GB free and I believe I need over 2G to update to 10.5.6

I have retail copies of both Leopard and Snow Leopard, as well as a MacBook Pro, and exernal USB drive (used for time machine backups) an 8G USB stick, and various SDHC card at my disposal and would be happy doing it any other way if you have suggestions, but here are the things I have tried.

Snow Leopard:

I was unable to get SL to boot off a USB DVD drive but was able to make a bootable USB stick from it using netbookmaker. I can boot off it and run the installer but can't get close to enough disk space to install it. AFAIK I can't tweak the USB stick like one can with Leopard.

I was able to boot this CD after booting off a DellMiniBoot123v8.01 cd and run the install. I am not sure if the install is just smaller or the tips to erase as fat per this guide did the trick, but I could install

But now I have this space issue trying to upgrade to 10.5.6 so I can get it to boot off the internal drive.

I am unable to "restore" the Leopard DVD to my USB stick - says out or memory at the very end - so have not been able to try that way and see if slimming it down per the HOWTOs is the answer.

Any help appreciated. I saw that the 8G worked so decided to save $50 instead of the 16G so I'm kicking myself now. And I bought 2 of them for my kids xmas presents

p.s. After running monolingual I have noticed you cannot run apps from spotlight. It says it's not supported under this architecture. You can go into the applications folder and run them directly. The card reader doesn't seem to work (but worked fine under linux with a 16G card.
  (#2) Old
Default 12-10-2009, 09:17 PM

Ok I got this resolved. I followed the following guide to make even more room.

Five ways to slim down your Mac OS X install

At this point I found my install media was somehow partially more current than 10.5. 6 so I had to update to 10.5.8. I then found that DellEFI really wants 10.5.6 so I Used the NetbookInstaller.

I can now boot off the hard drive and everything appears to work (I lost wifi at some point during the install malay). Well, I have to see about hibernation..

« 10.5.8 combo update need a little help | 8GB Dell mini mac osx and xcode problem »