Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#11) Old
Default 12-13-2009, 12:54 AM

I appreciate all the suggestions, but I guess I must be screwed. Every time I try to use the Terminal cd commands I get 'No such file or directory'. When I try to use Disk Utility, it won't let me grab the disk and put it as the source to restore to a USB. I've now wasted money on a 16GB SDHC, which the Mini 9 refuses to recognize, then a 16GB USB which the Mini 9 will see in Disk Utility, but won't let me restore to. Disk Utility says my disk is not mounted, but it won't let me mount it. I guess I learn my lesson about backing up, I just wish there was a way to retrieve the three files I really need.

If any more thoughts come your way, please clue me in. I'll try just about anything before I have to erase and start over (or fling this Mini against the wall! - just kidding, kind of)
  (#12) Old
Default 12-14-2009, 10:06 AM

Well, it does sound bad - if I was absolutely desparate to get those files back, there are some other things I might try.

Can't remember what you've tried yet, so my first thing would be to use a Ubuntu live USB stick and see if I can read the disk from there.

If I had access to another Mini9, I might try my SSD in that other machine, just to check that it absolutely is the disk. I might even try just taking out my SSD and putting it back, to see if that does anything (although that's a long shot).

Next thing would be fsck - the command line file system check command. Take a look at Apple's notes for this (Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck).

Finally, I've heard good things about DiskWarrior - but never tried it myself. Two big problems with this - it's commercial so you'll have to buy it and I don't know if it will work on a Mini9. This is really outside my knowledge, so I can't really offer any guidance on it.

Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.5.8 | DellEFI 1.2a5 | BIOS A05 | 16GB STEC SSD

« Vostro A90.. no longer available? | Why only 200mb left on 16gb SSD after SL & Office 2007 install? »