Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default Unable to boot from internal drive or Netbook Installer usb stick - 12-08-2009, 06:25 AM

This is an updated version of an earlier post. I have a dell mini 9 on which I installed mac os x 10.5.7 for my daughter. She dropped the mini, which resulted in a jagged green and black thing that looks like a jag in the screen. The machine however functioned fine until it just stopped one day about a month later.

I have loaded up NetbookInstaller onto a 16gb usb drive with mac os x 10.5.6 and the combo installer 10.5.8. The bios is set for legacy usb, no bluetooth, and such. Here is what happens. I hit zero and I have two options: OSXMINI9, which is the original os I installed for my daughter, and OSXDVD, which is on the usb stick.

If I select OSXMINI9, the screen says loading darwin, the apple appears, and the pinwheel commences rotating followed by the machine shutting down.

If I select OSXDVD, I get the apple logo, the spinning wheel, the blue screen, followed by a screen with irregular white and black rectangles with irregular white hyphens on the black rectangles and irregular black hyphens in the white rectangles. It is sometimes clear that there is an os screen underneath since I can sometimes pull a menu down that turns the black into white.

I cannot tell if there is something fatal about the screen issue --- the mini 9 worked for about a month before the operating system issue arose --- or that there is some troubleshooting idea I could not get from drew's guide or the threads on this forum. If I can get the os back up, I think I will try to replace the screen myself. Please help!

« Audio and 10.6.2.. any new developements? | stuck at 800x600 resolution issue »