Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default loading syslinux on usb - need help! - 12-05-2009, 12:28 AM

Ok, so this may be the dumbest quiestion on these forums, but I am in the process of trying to hackintosh my Dell mini 9 and have gotten to the part about loading everything on my USB drive. I have it partitioned and everything seemed to be going smoothly until I got to the part that said "cd over to the win32 subdirectory" of the Syslinux directory you downloaded. I have downloaded to file to a folder on my desktop (named it Syslinux) and can open the command prompt program, but have no idea what "cd over" means.. basically what I am asking here is how exactly do I get the file I need to the USB drive?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!!
  (#2) Old
Default 12-05-2009, 01:48 PM

Are you on Windows? I'm unsure which instructions you are using. I will have to guess..

Figure out what the drive letter of your USB drive is. I'll assume it's E: here.

With the command window open, type:

cd \Syslinux\win32

The first line changes the current device to be the USB key. The second changes the directory (cd). Unlike on Linux (or OS X), you can't do both in one command.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Default What "cd over to..." means - 12-09-2009, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by rooterdog View Post
"cd over"

I am unsure of the actuall meaning of cd but I think on Windows (or on Linux) "cd" stands for Call Directory. In the CMD (Command Prompt window) on your windows box this is how you open a directory, so when gizmodo (or where ever you got your directions) says 'cd over to the "win32"' they just mean drill down to it. i.e. cd User\"theNameofYourUserAccount"\Desktop\syslinux-3.63\win32.
Assuming you copied the file onto your desktop and that the syslinux virsion you downloaded was 3.63 This should put you into win32 directory, in otherwords you cd over to it.

From there gizmodo says to:
'cd over to the "win32" subdirectory of the Syslinux directory you downloaded and type the following, where "F:" is the drive letter for the TYPE11 partition on your USB stick:
syslinux -ma F:'

hope that helps

« Running NBI 8.2 Final over NBI 8.3(RC4) generated 2 issues | BootMaker via USB »