Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Thumbs down NetbookInstaller 2 Issues - 11-22-2009, 08:45 AM

I'm currently trying to install Snow Leopard from a Retail Disc purchased recently (Mac OS X v 10.6, single user upgrade RETAIL disc specifically). What my problem is at this point is booting into NetbookCD. I have followed the directions on this forum before using the DellEFI method in the past (on the same machine) successfully, and now plan on getting 10.6 on the Dell Mini 9.

This system currently is running Ubuntu 9.10 NBR, of which I have run DD (mentioned in the Howto) on both a 1Gb thumb drive, as well a 32Gb SDHC card (both card's were used with the Leopard install btw). All of these devices have been used in the past, and are of good make and quality (Kingston, SanDisk).

At this point I can't boot into NetbookCD, I've tried a slew of different way's of approaching my boot issues (these include wiping the drives, and re-writing them with 00's in my install of Ubuntu, creating a boot partition within Windows 7 as well Ubuntu for the NetbookCD drive and wiping it with DD first then writing over the raw drive with NetbookCD. On the larger drive I have done the same tasks to try and get it working (wasnt sure if it was the NetbookCD drive not booting properly into Mac OS X, or itself not working correctly).

The setup (BIOS and other wise) is precisely as NetbookInstaller 2 describes them as needing to be. This includes making sure the smaller drive with NetbookCD is attached BEFORE startup, then immediately attaching the drive with OSX DD'ed into it. I've wrung my hands over this, feeling like I'm missing something, but sure enough after every thing I've tried I still can't come up with a working boot (specifically it boots to a blank screen with a blinking letterbox on the upper left hand side).

BTW: I used ImgBurn in Windows 7 to create the .ISO of my SL disc (7.23Gb so it shouldn't be a problem with it copying only the Windows readable portion). NetbookCD_0.8.3RC4 is what I have been using as well.

If you think I have missed something, or have other recommendations, please feel free to offer them. I'm frankly at a loss right now.
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default 11-22-2009, 09:18 AM

The guide here on MyDellMini has a line at the top saying that it is outdated (and still is, I need to update it with the next revision) and that you need to see the newer instructions here: NetbookInstaller 2: USB Mac Installation via Any Operating System | Guides | OS X | mechdrew

NetbookCD isn't used anymore, there is a custom USB image for this now. Like you, a lot of people had issues with NCD even though it worked great on my end.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#3) Old
Default 11-22-2009, 10:09 AM

VERY quick reply, I'm impressed actually. Thank you. I'm currently going about using the new link tutorial.

Sorry about any duplication of previous threads, possibly this will help someone else out.

---------- Post added at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------
  (#4) Old
Default boot0:error - 11-22-2009, 01:01 PM

(#5) Old
Default 11-23-2009, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by vaiovann View Post
Getting the exact same thing...
  (#6) Old
Default Solution! - 12-24-2009, 01:03 PM

I think I solved the Boot0:Error problem.

I have no idea if this works on windows as I used Fedora Linux to prepared the USB sticks.

The method I used was to delete all of the partitions on the drive. Have the drive listed as XXXMb unpartitioned space.

Then run the dd command as per the instructions.

This worked for me YMMV.

Thanks to MechDrew. Your a modern day Legend.

netbookcd, snow leopard

« safe mode OK, but will not boot from SSD | NetBook Install Boot0:Error »