Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default Sluuuugish (after lots of use) - 11-08-2009, 06:56 PM

Dear Hackingtosh users,
I have been running 10.5.5 on a dell mini 9 since it came out .... and I have noticed the machine has become very slugish over time, just from surfing and watching movies.

Is this a common problem with the hack, or does it sound like a hardware problem?

The reason for the question now is, I am at a cross word and wondering if I should reformat and put on a new OS ? or just reinstall OSX again (latest version of the hack) and hope for the best ?
  (#2) Old
Default 11-08-2009, 07:29 PM

Snow Leopard was a bit snappier for me, but it's always a good idea to fix disk permissions in disk utility every so often etc.
  (#3) Old
Default 11-08-2009, 11:36 PM

Disk fragmentation.

Try to keep some unused space so that the SSD can write data to complete empty blocks instead of having to strew them wherever some bytes are free.

This matters much more than in a magnetic disc because in an SSD, to write into an already partly used block the controller has to read the complete block, add the new data, erase the block, and write the modified data back.
  (#4) Old
Default 11-09-2009, 05:33 AM

I found mine slowed down a lot when the SSD filled up, less than 1GB left. cleaned it up to free 2GB and it was much better.

what do you use to defrag?
  (#5) Old
Default 11-09-2009, 05:38 AM

Mac's really need 20% free space or better. Even the newest Apple models, if you fill up the drive, performance takes a hit.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB Runcore | 2 GIGS RAM
10V | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351 |BIOS 06|160 GB|1 GIG RAM| 6 Cell Dell Battery
Functioning Hibernation

Back up Mini 9| OS X 10.6.7| NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB SuperTalent | 2 GIGS RAM
  (#6) Old
Default 11-09-2009, 07:42 PM

As someone pointed out, fixing disk permissions occasionally helps.

You might want to look into installing anacron. It will do an occasional permission fix for you automatically as well as clean/delete temp files, old logs, etc. And you can add some extra cleanup steps, if you desire, to the config files/scripts to clean out even more space.

Another place to look is ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter and /Library/Logs/CrashReporter and /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports. These places store, as per the names, crash reports and diagnostics. They generally are not huge, but, using iPhone as an example, when you sync it, it tries to send back to Apple these reports. And if iTunes (in the example) cannot connect to the server, the sync bogs down real bad. Not sure if there is some similar behavior with OSX. So, I have anacron toast the crash logs once a week. At a minimum, you might have a ton of these reports sitting out there, eating up your disk space.

One thing you didn't mention was: are you on or A/C when this occurs? On my SL rig, when the battery meter drops below 1:00 time left, the machine does go into a power preserve mode, and things like Flash, Java really bog down.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | 2GB | 16GB STEC | .3Mp | No BT |
BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: OFF | Bluetooth: OFF | NBI .8.4 RC1.1 (20100616212351)
Sleep: Working | Speakers: Working | Headphone Jack: Working
  (#7) Old
Default 11-09-2009, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by chewy View Post
what do you use to defrag?
Actually, nothing. I keep several gigs free for new files and let the system do its automatic defragmentation as per Apple settings. Works fine on realMac, but I don't know whether this is the best way on an SSD... wouldn't know how to stop/change this anyway.

If you want a complete defrag and have a spare disk, make a copy of the SSD's content (not with block copy, but file copy!), then write it all back, e.g. with Carbon Copy Cloner.

« 10.5.8 - Extremely long boot times just started | Help installing Snow Leopard »