Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Angry Scratchy audio on OS X - 11-04-2009, 06:07 PM

Hey Guys,

I installed 10.5.6 4 months back or so and it worked flawlessly. Now all audio whether I am using the speakers or line in it sounds like a really low bit rate--patchy. It almost sounds like it cuts out for a little bit. Interestingly, it comes and goes; sometimes it is almost ok, other times it is still usable but not great. At times it is intolerable which it makes it almost useless. I downloaded the most recent EFI 1.2 Alpha but it quits "unexpectedly" before I can try it. How do I get the EFI to not crash?

Is there anything else I can try? I really don't want to re-install if I don't have to...

Please help!

EDIT: If it helps I can post a video on youTube...
  (#2) Old
Default 11-05-2009, 12:42 AM

Ya i am eagerly awaiting better sound in snow leopard for the dell mini. You would think it would be out by now.
  (#3) Old
Default 11-05-2009, 07:08 PM

What have you changed recently? Are you still on 10.5.6? If you've updated to Snow Leopard, you need to be running Netbook Installer (official is 8.3.2 but a lot of us are running 8.3.3 and there are audio issues. I've updated and I have to use USB headphone and mic, but speakers work just fine.) I've also noticed that Quicktime X under Snow has audio problems even when running on a MacBook Pro. If this is not your issue, are you using the Voodoo kext? Could do with a little more info to help you solve your problem.

Mini 9| 2Gb RAM | 32Gb Kingspec | OS X 10.6.8 | 16Gb SDHC | webcam | BT | Wifi | NBI 0.8.4
MacBook Pro (Late 2007) | OSX 10.10.4
  (#4) Old
Default 11-06-2009, 01:28 PM

My apologies, I am still running 10.5.6 and I cannot recall changing anything. 10.5.6 was really stable for me and decided not to mess with it. One day I did get bored and attempted the 10.5.7 upgrade and had to reinstall.

One question why does the dell EFI crash every time I try to open it. My though was that if I just reinstall the sound driver it would be solved, no?

« Installation of snowleopard using tiger | Upgraded to SL 10.6.1 - No Airport Card - HELP »