Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default Complete failure to upgrade from 10.5.7 to 10.6 - 11-03-2009, 07:55 AM

I have a mini9 with the 64gb Runcore SSD. I have been running 10.5.7 via DellEFI without a hitch for 3 months. Decided tonight to upgrade to OSX 10.6 (SL). Tried the mechdrew version 3 (external dvd drive) install, but the machine never sees the external dvd, just boots right into 10.5.7 off the SSD. Tried mechdrew method 2 (with two external USB sticks), it doesn't see those either.

So I decided the problem was DellEFI, and booted into safe mode and ran NetbookMaker 0.8.3. RC3, then rebooted. Now I am much worse off. The loader still does not see the USB sitcks or DVD drive, and when it tries to boot up, I get a "Panic" screen with code that tells me in English, German and some other language (Japanese?) to restart the computer. Safe mode doesn't help, neither does forced boot.

What do I do now?

---------- Post added at 07:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 AM ----------

OH, forgot to mention that I changed the boot priority in the BIOS every way I could think of (USB first, removable devices first, CD/DVD first, etc.) And the DVD drive has external power.

The machine just isn't seeing any thing but the SSD on boot. It did see the DVD and hte flash drive when it booted into 10.5.7.
  (#2) Old
Default 11-03-2009, 02:57 PM

did you try a different usb port for the dvd drive? it sounds stupid, but I really think there was a difference on mine.

also, I used the hold 0 key down and selected the external cd/dvd drive to get NCD to boot.

then, I couldn't get the SL dvd to be recognized (even with the unplug/replug), so I used the copy of SL on the flash drive, plugged that in when I started NCD, and was able to do it from there.

you do have a run core, so if all else fails, you could take it out and use the usb input to do the install?
  (#3) Old
Default 11-03-2009, 08:00 PM

Success! For some reason, the BIOS would not hold the "Enable Legacy USB Support" at enabled.

I reinstalled the BIOS (that was fun!), and everything worked as it was supposed to!

Now I just gotta figure out why it was worth the trouble to upgrade to Snow Leopard in the first place.

« Looking for a how to load 10.6 onto a Mini 9 with easy instructions. | Problem closing/making changes in windows »