Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default No Sound on Mini 9 with OSX 10.6 installed - - 10-31-2009, 01:13 PM

Hello -

I installed OSX 10.6 using the Dell 10v instructions. It is a Dell Mini 9, with 2GB and a 16GB Runcore drive. Performance is pretty good, bluetooth, both wireless and wired network ports work, USB port work, as well as the SSD media slot. The trackpad works, I haven't used it much since I use a bluetooth mouse.

OSX was installed using these instructions:

How To: Hackintosh a Dell Mini 10v Into the Ultimate Snow Leopard Netbook - Dell mini 10v hackintosh - Gizmodo

The sound is not working, looking at Sound from System Preferences, it shows "No output devices found".

I tried running NetbookInstaller 0.8.2 after the install, selected Install Dell Mini 9 Extensions, thinking that might help.

Any ideas on getting the sound to work?
  (#2) Old
Default 10-31-2009, 03:43 PM

Try using NetbookInstaller 0.8.3RC3.

Dell Mini 9 : OS X 10.6.8 : BIOS A05
NBI Version : Latest
SpeedStep : [Enabled]
USB Legacy support : [Disabled]
  (#3) Old
Default How to Update Snow Leopard 10.6.1 on Dell Mini 9 and get working speakers and Mic - 11-01-2009, 04:13 AM

Jump over here:

How to Update Snow Leopard 10.6.1 on Dell Mini 9 and get working speakers and Mic

Dell Mini 9 : OS X 10.6.1 : BIOS A04
NBI Version : Latest
Bluetooth : [Disabled]
USB Legacy support : [Disabled]

STATUS:Audio in headphone jack/speakers, No microphone, no line in
  (#4) Old
Default 11-01-2009, 07:01 AM

I reinstalled tonight using this link NetbookInstaller 1: USB Installation via Mac | Guides | OS X | mechdrew

The more research I did it sounded like the best option.

I used MAC OS X Snow Leopard DVD, (family pack) followed the instructions to the letter, out of the box, everything worked. Sound works, tested both wired and wireless networking. Bluetooth works with a Dell BT travel mouse. SSD card slot works fine, all three USB ports work. Sleep seems to be an issue, system hangs on wake up.

I used a "DataTraveler" 8GB from Kingston as a USB drive. The trackpad seems to work, I haven't done much with the trackpad, except to install my Dell BT mouse.

Overall performance is good. I wouldn't want it as my day-to-day machine, however as a netbook, I think it's fine. I loaded iWorks, and a couple of of open source programs on it.

I purchased two Dell Mini 9's last year, one for my girlfriend and one for myself. We used Ubuntu 9-04 and used them to check email and browse the web we have both been pleased with them. She takes hers to work and uses it during her downtime.

Might be my seat-of-the-pants dyno, but performance running OSX seems to be better then Ubuntu 9-04.

This is on a Dell Mini 9, with 2 GB of Ram, and a 32GB Runcore drive. (I was wrong on my first post).
  (#5) Old
Default 11-01-2009, 08:01 PM

try the smartsleep. it got my sleep working again. just have to use the silver power button to wake up again. the link to apple's downloads is in here.

DellMini9 Runcore SSD/10.6.1/NI 083 RC3 (Full Sound, Sleep, Reliable Restart!)

« Vostro A90 - Install Windows 7 After Installing 10.6 | mini 9 running hot under snow leopard »