Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Thumbs up It required a complete reinstall to get Airport working again - 10-24-2009, 11:26 PM

Last Feb. I hooked my mail-lady up with a Dell Mini 9 running 10.5.6 & she LOVED it, especially after learning to tether it to her iPhone. A few days ago she updated to 10.5.8 via Software Update & Airport stopped working. After a few troubleshooting sessions over the phone I told her to bring it to me & I'd see what I could do to get it working again.

This morning I got her computer & 1st thing I did was to run DellEFI1.2a5 to no avail. Next I tried running NetBookInstaller & that didn't help either. I was about convinced that the wireless card had been fried but it showed up as a 3rd party wireless card in System Profiler. Next I removed the SSD from my Dell mini 9 & put it in hers & everything worked just like it was supposed to. At least this let me know it was a software rather than a hardware problem. Of course I searched this forum looking for a fix but came up empty.

Thankfully I had been told to do whatever was needed to get it going again & that everything had been backed up. This gave me a chance to use NetBootMaker on an 8GB USB thumb drive. Wow! So much easier than installing with a USB DVD drive! I'd put the 10.5.8 Combo Updater in the Optional Installs folder on the USB drive & this made it even easier to update after Leopard finished installing. Running Monolingual & Xslimmer took longer than the Leopard install.

All was working beautifully when she came to pick it up. She was so happy to have her computer restored to good health & I appreciated the 2 cases of Mountain Dews she brought to me as payment.

Dell mini 9, 2GB RAM, 32GB RunCore SSD, OS X (10.6.7)

« Installing SL without a Mac | Need help getting SL installer to boot on my Vostro a90 »