Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default How to install Snow Leopard without a Mac. - 10-24-2009, 02:36 PM

I have had no prior experience other than my iPhone with Apple products, but have been wanting to give OSX a try ever since I bought my Mini 9. However, I had a few hurdles to cross. I do not have a Mac to do the prep-work on, and I have an 8GB SSD. I used mechdrew's guide for the most part, but had to make some changes to work for me. I thought this post might help some others with the same problems as I was unable to find solutions posted myself.

1.) Use mechdrew's guide #3 (use NetbookInstaller to install directly to an external HDD)

This gave me the Mac I needed to do the following steps on. Was a simple, straight forward process and if I didn't have an 8GB SSD I, could have installed to my SSD this way and would have been done. Great job mechdrew!

2.) Boot off of the NetbookInstaller CD and load OSX off of the external HDD.

3.) Follow mechdrew's guide #1 (USB Installation via Mac), but stop after you have everything on the USB.

4.) Here is where the guide sort of leads you astray. Right now I could use my USB to install on my Mini if I had the drive space, but I don't. I followed another of mechdrew's guides to modify the OSInstall.mpkg However, when I rebooted to install, all of the items under the Essential System Software tab were blank. The best advice I could find is go back to the files I modified and write down the order as they should be in the same order on the install list. I found this not to be the case either. What I ended up doing was going back into the Distribution file and changing the line that reads; start_selected="true" to start_selected="false" on the following items; DVD Player, Oxford Dictonary, and Additional Speech Voices.

This got me under the limit I needed by checking the boxes I wanted to remove without me having to do it. In the future I may try taking a few more items off. You can use mechdrew’s guides for the rest of the installation. I hope this helps someone else.

(#2) Old
Expert Member
Default 10-24-2009, 05:12 PM

I don't think I ever want to get into a battle of wills with you

Hardcore. Nice job.

mini 9 | 2GB RAM | 16GB STEC SDD | BIOS A06, USB Legacy OFF | No Bluetooth | OSX 10.6.7 | NBI 0.8.5pre w/ ALC268 | Broadcom2Airport
MINI Cooper '02 | 1.6L | CVT | Moonroof | Red w/ White Stripes

Want the ALC268 mini 9 sound fix? Get it here

« Vostro A90 hanging on Combo 10.5.8 updater | Installing SL without a Mac »