Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default what about bluetooth? Am I missing something? - 10-19-2009, 03:46 PM

I'm just checking to make sure I haven't missed a relevant posting somewhere. I have a mini 9 with A05 bios. I installed 10.5.6 but then went back to Windows because after installation my Mini 9 frequently had problems recognizing attached USB devices like my 3G modem from Verizon.

It finds the modem from Verizon just fine under 10.6 and Windows XP, so I know it is not a hardware problem, just a problem with the USB ports under 10.5.6 and 10.5.8. Any ideas why that happens?

Not a big deal right now though, since 10.6.1 seems to be working well with the modem. So the next step is to resolve the three remaining problems I'm encountering. First, there is still no sound. I've seen mention of the Voodoo HDA .kext files, but I don't really understand what functions work--is it speakers only, or can I use my headphones too?

(update: I achieved partial functionality and got the built in speakers working using the VoodooHDA kext file and a program called kext helper)

I've also heard mention of a newer NetbookInstaller application. I used NetbootInstaller 0.8.2 with the Chameleon 2 RC3 bootloader. Is there a more successful option? I've seen mention of a NBI 0.8.3 version, but it sounds like it is still experimental?

Second, I can't get external video working. The machine just gives me vertical lines. I assume this is related to the "Install mirror friendly GMA kext" option? If this is the right driver for the video port then why is it off by default?
(edit: never mind - got this working properly after booting in safe mode, selecting the 'friendly' option and then restarting)

And third, I enabled bluetooth in the bios, but I'm not having any luck getting this to see my bluetooth mouse. I don't even see the bluetooth symbol in the menu bar that I see on my macbook pro. What tricks am I missing to get bluetooth working?

I went to the bluetooth file exchange app in Utilities but it does not see any bluetooth hardware on my machine. I have verified that bluetooth is enabled in the bios. I'm stumped -- any ideas?

Thanks in advance. If I have missed the threads containing this information then please include a link to the right thread. General reference to threads by name is pretty useless. I'm not asking the questions here because I haven't searched, there are just too many unrelated hits and old (2008 era) information that doesn't relate to the current state of things.

bluetooth, mini 9, snow leopard, sound, video

« Disk Utility Freezing | It's been a while... »