Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default New member with Questions - 10-10-2009, 03:43 AM

I Have a Mini9 with a 8bg and a 32gb waiting and ready to install. A couple of questions on the requirements. I can't fine the GMA 950 on my system. Was there an older chip in older models of Mini. I bought mine from the Outlet recently, so I don't think it is that old.
Is the Mic active when the camera is active after the SL load? I would like to use IChat when I get SL loaded, assuming I get that far.
I don't have a MAC to load from, can I use other programs and prepare the USB drive, format my new 32SSD, and create my SL load from an XP machine? I have my retail copy, 8gb usb drive, an external USB DVD drive. What would be my easiest method given this situation?
  (#2) Old
Default 10-10-2009, 05:45 PM

I have had no luck creating an SL USB thumbdrive image with WIndows. It can be done, but it doesnt appear to 'work' right.

I recommend mechdrew's method using another Mac to create your valid USB thumb drives (one to install the OSX and the other with upgrade software and meklur's NetbookInstaller app)

Mini 10v
  (#3) Old
Default 10-10-2009, 06:38 PM

The easiest method might be the Dell EFI w/ external DVD method if you don't have another mac.

Keep in mind that if you are looking to use iChat AV that there are some issues with getting the mic and headphones working with 10.6.

Dell Mini 9, Alpine White, BIOS A05, 2gb RAM, 32gb SuperTalent SSD, 1.3mp, BT, 10.5.8
  (#4) Old
Default 10-11-2009, 03:01 AM

Thanks Tchariya, I will give that consideration. AD720, does the Mic all tie together, even the mic built in as well as the plug in connection? I was afraid it affected the mic used by Ichat. I may have to wait until that is remedied and line up a Mac to built my USB drives.

« How do you reboot in safe mode? | Snow Leopard and Monolingual »