Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Unhappy Help!! Dell Mini 9 on OSX Power Cycling on Bootloader Screen - 10-08-2009, 10:31 PM

Hi all, I'm fairly new to these forums but I know this is the place to go for some dire assistance. I recently created a pretty little Dell mini 9 hackintosh using the helpful USB installation guide from MechDrew. I had everything working in pristine condition using 10.5.8, until one day, the bootloader stopped functioning and it just kept on power cycling past the spinning wheel of death.
I tried everything I could think of, from trying to force boot, boot without kernal extentions, among various other commands. To no avail, I then tried to reformat the SSD and try again with maybe snow leopard. I formatted and partitioned my flash drive once again with a retail copy of snow leopard restored onto it along with netbook bootmaker alpha. I booted from the USB and got to the installation welcome screen, and here's where I'm stuck..

when I try to use disk utility to erase/restore/ or even re-partition as a mac osx journeled drive, it keeps giving me an error message, invalid path/source.. I also tried installing a fresh copy over the partition but the install won't even recognize the drive.

maybe i'm missing something small here, but all the same, what I would like to do is to wipe the SSD clean and start with a fresh install? Any Ideas?
  (#2) Old
Default 10-09-2009, 12:27 AM

If it were a RunCore SSD I'd say hook it up to another PC and see if you can access it that way.

Sadly, the SSD may be dead. They don't seem to take kindly to being power cycled in the middle of read/write functions. A friend of mine killed one that way, powering off the machine when it was in the middle of booting on the spinning wheel screen.

After that power off, that SSD never worked again in any machine no matter what he did to it, and he knows a bit about PC's.

Hopefully someone else here has some better theories and can offer a tool or two to check it out better.

DELL Vostro 1720 - 2.4Ghz - 4GB - 500GB - Windows 7
DELL XPS M1330 - 2.4Ghz - 4GB - 500GB - Windows 7
DELL Vostro A90 - 2GB - 64GB SSD - OSX
  (#3) Old
Default 10-09-2009, 12:47 AM

If it doesn't show up in BIOS with the proper volume, it is dead.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB Runcore | 2 GIGS RAM
10V | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351 |BIOS 06|160 GB|1 GIG RAM| 6 Cell Dell Battery
Functioning Hibernation

Back up Mini 9| OS X 10.6.7| NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB SuperTalent | 2 GIGS RAM

dell mini 9, hackintosh, osx 10.5.8, reformat

« 10.6.1 Mini9 sleep issue | Stuck at the bootloader.... can't install! »