Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#11) Old
Expert Member
Default 10-06-2009, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ivan X View Post
Disk Utility will fix a few kinds of problems well, but DiskWarrior is much more robust and capable for a much wide range of issues, as it actually rebuilds the indexing on the disk from scratch, can repair overlapped files, etc. Over the years I have used it as a Mac tech it has been absolutely indispensable, bringing badly corrupted drives that wouldn't even mount back to completely normal.

DW is also valuable for preventative maintenance, and I always run it before doing any major installations such as an OS upgrade to have the confidence that I am working with a disk that is, at the organizational level, in perfect health. I think it's one of the best investments one can make in one's Mac, which is why I want it to work on a Hackintosh as well.
If you do a rebuild from backup w/ Time Machine won't that effectively rebuild directories too? Or is that just a block level restore?

mini 9 | 2GB RAM | 16GB STEC SDD | BIOS A06, USB Legacy OFF | No Bluetooth | OSX 10.6.7 | NBI 0.8.5pre w/ ALC268 | Broadcom2Airport
MINI Cooper '02 | 1.6L | CVT | Moonroof | Red w/ White Stripes

Want the ALC268 mini 9 sound fix? Get it here
  (#12) Old
Default 10-08-2009, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Akki View Post
If you do a rebuild from backup w/ Time Machine won't that effectively rebuild directories too? Or is that just a block level restore?
Time Machine is a file-level restore, so if it's current (which it would be, to the hour, if the drive is attached), it is indeed another way of skinning the same cat, if a much more time-consuming one. DiskWarrior takes about 15 minutes, and therefore is something you can easily run regularly for preventative maintenance.
  (#13) Old
Default 10-09-2009, 12:30 AM

DiskWarrior rebuilds the directory of your disk. The directory is hidden partition data that keeps track of all the files on the disk. HFS+ on Mac OS 9 would get corrupt after a while, especially after a few total system lock ups. The tool was really great back then and was necessary. Now with HFS+ with Journaling and Mac OS X this sort of directory corruption does not occur as often. DiskWarrior will optimize/defrag the directory, and is good for regular maintenance in this regard but wont really speed anything up on SSDs. May be usefull to prevent corruption if you add then delete thousands of files repeatedly and run close to capacity on your drive.
  (#14) Old
Default 10-17-2009, 06:23 AM

As for other tools, I have had good luck/no problems with Onyx (freeware) on my SL Mini 9. Onyx is a GUI for about 50 of the most common UNIX system maintenance tools, cron scripts, etc. It feels like 'Disk Utility' on steroids to me; It can also be used, with limited success, as a tool to do after a kernel panic, to clear the kernel cache (though a kernel panic can happen for other reasons that Onyx will NOT fix...) Clearing caches and 'Automation' are my main usages of this tool, but it really does so much more: I do injustice trying to paraphrase its abilities. (Check Versiontracker dot com for more info). I install it within the Utilities folder of every Mac that I build/image in a large scale Mac environment. If you don't understand exactly what an option does, DON'T use that option.. Its just about a pro tech level tool, not really for casual uninformed Mac rookie usage, but not deadly dangerous if you are willing to study and research its options...

Diskwarrior is unparalleled in rebuilding and creating/replacing directories. It is a completely different tool than Onyx; I champion both, for differing purposes.

A likely way to run DiskWarrior on your Mini 9 SSD is: (theoretically) remove your Mini's SSD, connect it via USB if you have a Runcore, or put your SSD into a
RunCore Mini PCI-e External USB Enclosure, and connect it to your real Mac. Then you could run the DiskWarrior application installed on your real Mac (not booted from DW disk) , and it should then allow you choose the Mini's SSD and rebuild/replace the directory. There are probably other ways of doing this, but this way removes the Dell from the equation, I guess.. There are probably other ways of successfully running DiskWarrior to address a Dell Mini's SSD, I just haven't brainstormed much on this... and I admit I have just never run DW this on any hackintosh, sorry: I am waiting to hear others successful feedback first, ya know? . Though I have run DW 100's (maybe a 1000?) of times on Apple Macs in my tech career, as one of my tools during 'no-boot' troubleshooting.

Just my .02 ...

Dell Mini 9; Crucial 64GB SSD, 2GB RAM; BT & 1.3MP Cam
OSX 10.6.7 | BIOS A05 | NBI 20100616212351 | USB BIOS Legacy Support: Disabled | Bluetooth: Enabled
  (#15) Old
Default 10-17-2009, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by underwhelmed View Post
The only Utilities you should need are already a part of the OS X package.

I just had a case where Disk Utility could neither delete a volume nor partition the internal SSD (had booted from a USB stick).

I then booted into Ubuntu 9.x from a stick and could repartition the SSD. Then back to Snow Leo stick and disk utility worked fine.

(#16) Old
Default 10-17-2009, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by chucklehman View Post
Thanks for the advise. I will try it. I am still new to all of this. I installed the OS on my SSD using the micro USB of Runcore. To boot from an USB stick I will need to put on it the Retail Image of the 10.6 along with the NetbookInstaller AND the Disk Utility programs?

Has anyone used DiskWarrior v.4.2 on a Hackintosh? I am concerned that it might changes some files that has been added via the NetbookInstaller, etc.

As a side bar, when new versions of the NetbookInstaller come out do you then upgrade your USB Stick with the new version? What is the difference between the NetbookMaker and the NetbookInstaller?

Thanks again for your help.
chucklehman - With regard to disk utilities, have had good luck with Leopard Cache Cleaner (LCC, now known as sLCC for Snow Leopard) that is supposed to work with any version back to 10.4 something. It basically acts as a GUI for running all the inbuilt routines and has some other optimization stuff too. Have used its basic cleanup routines many times on my Mini 9 (having been used to using it on regular Mac systems) with never a bad result. It's never touched the EFI files or even noticed them.

You can use it for free until you decide you like it. I finally bought it. I don't use the optimization routines, just the cleanup ones. As underwhelmed correctly noted, all you really need are the inbuilt OS X utilities. LCC runs those easily, but you could with some research and more effort do the same thing yourself manually. Guess I'm a little lazy.

Thanks for all the backup and restore info in this thread! This is a great forum.

(#17) Old
Default 11-03-2009, 10:16 PM

I was sort-of able to run the TechTool Pro 5 DVD (patched with NetbookMaker) and with "mirror" utility installed so that the application window's button were clickable (mini's screen hides the bottom half). However, even after being able to click the button (volume repair, data salvage, etc.), it did nothing...

My steps for creating the image are posted at:
Boot failure: "boot1: error"

« Problem closing/making changes in windows | (2) A90 USB Snow Leopard installs, one won't boot »