Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old

Lightbulb Mini 9 and OSX 10.5.6, still got AirPort problems! It's 99% perfect! - 10-02-2009, 08:59 AM

Hi, I've installed retail OSX 10.5.6 on my A04 Dell Mini 9" using guide from mechdrew and it really saves alot of disk spaces off my 8GB SSD and automatically install the needed kexts. However, after install, I found out that my WiFi and Bluetooth does not work. WiFi hardware is detected, but I can't turn AirPort on. Pressing the hotkey (FN+F2) also didn't work. For Bluetooth, it just not detected.

The other problem is, whenever I update my OSX to 10.5.7 (for example,) and rebooted to safe mode to reinstall bootloader etc, NetbookInstaller crashed unexpectedly.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks
  (#2) Old

Unhappy 10-03-2009, 11:33 AM

I've successfully enabled both WiFi and Bluetooth by formatting to XP, turn it both on before installing OSX. Now the issue is AirPort cannot connect to my home WiFi network, can anyone help?

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

My AirPort IPv4 address is 169.254.74.59 and a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. I've tried any solutions I could find and it still doesn't work. Can anyone help me???
  (#3) Old

Default 10-03-2009, 02:36 PM

You are getting an auto-assigned IP from your router.

Try opening network preferences, click the TCP/IP tab and click Renew DHCP lease to force your computer to grab a new IP from the router.

Dell Mini 9, Alpine White, BIOS A05, 2gb RAM, 32gb SuperTalent SSD, 1.3mp, BT, 10.5.8
  (#4) Old

Default 10-03-2009, 03:07 PM

Tried that already, but still getting the same IP address and subnet mask. Wired network works fine though. Any other idea? I tried the Keychain trick by deleting AirPort password setting but it didn't work either.
  (#5) Old

Default 10-04-2009, 02:31 AM

Maybe try disabling any security you have set up on your router and see if you can get a real ip with it open.

Dell Mini 9, Alpine White, BIOS A05, 2gb RAM, 32gb SuperTalent SSD, 1.3mp, BT, 10.5.8
  (#6) Old

Default 10-04-2009, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad720 View Post
Maybe try disabling any security you have set up on your router and see if you can get a real ip with it open.
Tried that already, Tried with None, WEP, WPA, all not working. My Windows laptop can connect fine with various authentication method.
  (#7) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default 10-04-2009, 04:38 AM

Wait, so did you use the guide to modify the Installer? Because I never mentioned anything about including kexts.

Also, I did get your e-mail, so this is my way of responding. Sorry it took a while.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final
http://osx.mechdrew.com - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#8) Old

Default 10-04-2009, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechdrew View Post
Wait, so did you use the guide to modify the Installer? Because I never mentioned anything about including kexts.
What I did are:
  • 1. Install XP on my Mini9. Activate both Wireless and Bluetooth.
    2. Install iATKOS on my Mini9. Restore the retail OSX 10.5.6 onto my USB drive
    3. Modify OSInstall.mpkg using your guide
    4. Use NetbookBootMaker to install bootloader (and kexts? I'm not sure) on the USB drive
    5. Use the USB drive to install OSX

All are fine (solved my WiFi and Bluetooth not enabled earlier) except the problem getting IP for AirPort from my router. No worries about the email, since you're here, do you have any possible solution for the AirPort problem, mechdrew? My MiniOSX setup is almost perfect, only AirPort sucks.
  (#9) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default 10-04-2009, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarCry3r View Post
2. Install iATKOS on my Mini9. Restore the retail OSX 10.5.6 onto my USB drive
There's your problem right there. Not only are the premodded distributions completely illegal, they mess up things that NetbookBootMaker needs. As a policy on this site we do not discuss downloadable distributions, and you should use a retail copy, especially since it won't cause driver (kext) issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarCry3r View Post
3. Modify OSInstall.mpkg using your guide
4. Use NetbookBootMaker to install bootloader (and kexts? I'm not sure) on the USB drive
NetbookBootMaker does indeed install kexts, but separately from the Installer. (It's complicated, I'd love to explain but that would take way too much time.) That's where we run into the issues. Your Airport isn't working correctly because most of the kext "installations" are actually modifications made to the "vanilla" (original) kexts already included by Apple. Because you are using a pre-modded distribution the kexts have been changed and/or were removed and so they are incompatible now with your netbook. As I mentioned before, your best bet (not just legally but also technically) is to get a retail disc and use that for your installation.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final
http://osx.mechdrew.com - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#10) Old

Default 10-04-2009, 05:35 AM

Perhaps I'm a little unclear with my previous explanation. Le me straighten that up. I installed iATKOS just to restore the retail OSX 10.5.6 DVD to my USB drive since I have no other Mac lying around. So, the installer on my USB drive (that have been patched with NetbookBootMaker) is retail, not modified iATKOS. I wouldn't need to modify OSInstall.mpkg if it's already modified in iATKOS right?

So to answer your last question(?) I am using retail OSX DVD (but restored to my USB drive) to perform the installation. So, any suggestion? The only way I could fix the AirPort up (temporarily) is by assigning manual IP/subnet/DNS to it, but it's not really a solution.

Tags
dell mini 9, netbookinstaller, osx retail 10.5.6, problems

« dead pixels on screen | Downgrade Bios from A05 - final guide? »