Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default Operating System not found - 09-30-2009, 05:24 AM

OK, I got my 8GB A90 A04 today. Charged it up. Booted and poke around Ubuntu 8.04. Blew away the install and installed Ubuntu 9.04. Poked around a bit. Installed all the upgrades. Everything seemed to work fine.

Installed SL using a retail SL disk and the NetBookInstaller method. Hacked the installation distribution file to get it to fit on the 8GB SSD using the method described by Mechdrew. Installed fine but failed on initial reboot with an "Operating System not found". Didn't see an obvious problem so tried it again using an 10.5 retail disk. Same problem.

Reinstalled Ubuntu 9.04 and it boots fine.

It would appear that the OS X installer isn't updating something related to the boot process. Any suggestions?

Update: Installed Windows 7RC w/o any problem. Reboots and works fine.
Update: Used 0.8.3RC1 with SL and 0.8.2 with Leopard. Tried both MBR and GUID.
  (#2) Old
Default 09-30-2009, 09:55 PM

There's a bug with 0.8.3 RC1 during the install. What I did was after the install was complete and I got the Operating System Not Found error, I booted off the SL USB device. Once the install screen loads, select NBI from the menu bar at the top. Run NBI, reboot and all will be fine!

Mini 9 ~ Obsidian Black | Windows 8 Dev | 2GB | 16GB SSD | 3G
  (#3) Old
Default 10-01-2009, 03:03 AM

Thanks. I could swear I tried that without any drive showing up in NBM but I did SL from scratch and it installed.

Did NetBookInstaller show up in your Applications folder? It didn't in mine so it was a bit of a head scratcher when I tried to follow the instructions for applying the combo update. I copied over and reran NetBootMaker against the new install and NetBookInstaller showed up on the next reboot. I just noticed that NetBookInstaller is available as a separate download so next time I'll just copy it over.

One odd thing is that Disk Utility was kind of wacky doing the partitions. If I did an MBR partition, it looked fine. But if I did a GUID partition, it would create a partition and say that there was 1.8GB still free on the disk. However, the partition was full size.

« 10.5.8 installation report (success!) on Vostro A90 (Mini 9 equivalent) | The [not so] Definitive Guide to a Minimalist Mac Setup »