Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old

Question Boots - Yet BIOS says "Fixed HDD: None" - 09-24-2009, 08:22 AM

Hello Folks:
I am a Mac Tech, yet I feel embarrassed that I can't figure this one out.

I have a new Mini 9, booting snow leopard 10.6.1, via NBI .8.3.
WAS working well. But I have always noticed something strange...

I noticed when the hackintosh was working perfectly, that In BIOS, on Main page, under "Fixed HDD:" it has always said "None".

Simultaneously, in BIOS, under "Boot -Hard Drive", it correctly recognizes my "Crucial -PS" Manufacturer (I bought the Crucial 64GB).

Is this acceptable? I mean, what should it properly say and recognize in this settings fields in BIOS? Shouldnt it show complete HD Mfr and Capacity under the "Main" BIOS tab? Yet it worked perfectly for 3 days.

The SSD is installed perfectly. The OS installed flawlessly. The BIOS settings are setup correctly in v. A05. .

Does this mean my HD/SSD is defective??

(Thanks for insightful feedback and advice, as now I am troubleshooting some problems, and I cannot confirm whether a bad SSD was the root problem from the beginning based on these BIOS settings feedback...)
Attached Thumbnails
WTF.jpg  

Dell Mini 9; Crucial 64GB SSD, 2GB RAM; BT & 1.3MP Cam
OSX 10.6.7 | BIOS A05 | NBI 20100616212351 | USB BIOS Legacy Support: Disabled | Bluetooth: Enabled
  (#2) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to meklort Send a message via MSN to meklort Send a message via Yahoo to meklort
Default 09-24-2009, 01:58 PM

That happens with any crucial ssd (and crucial knows about it).

It wont affect the functionality / stability of your machine.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 2 GB RAM | 32 GB Buffalo SSD | BIOS A05
Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | BIOS A06
My Blog | NetbookInstaller code repository | NetbookInstaller Website | Want a Lockerz.com invite? message me.
  (#3) Old

Default 09-25-2009, 05:26 AM

Thank you for that exact info, very helpful!

By the way, I have truly appreciated all your work, in fact I have sheepishly and shamefully taken your avatar as the custom icon for the HD of my hackintosh, in tribute...
(well, I took it offa the MBI's icon....)

========================

Now if I can only figure out why I have gotten the 'operating system not found' error, and upon mounting/recovering the drive, discovered that the SSD behaved as though my Snow Leopard install was completely missing (most likely directory corruption, but that seems inherent to PCs ). Pretty much read every related thread, but none of those fixes and circumstances matched my own nor fixed my problem. I did not make any errors, but now when I have to deal with a non Mac hardware, true PC undercore, I just have to start thinking like a PC tech, and just realize that shti happens, and always have a robust backup strategy, and be willing to wipe and restore at whim...

Dell Mini 9; Crucial 64GB SSD, 2GB RAM; BT & 1.3MP Cam
OSX 10.6.7 | BIOS A05 | NBI 20100616212351 | USB BIOS Legacy Support: Disabled | Bluetooth: Enabled

Tags
fixed hdd: none

« Snow Leopard OSX need help | Installing Proxifier »