Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default how the get rid of more unnecessary mac componets - 09-18-2009, 05:52 PM

Hello folks,

big thanks for the great guides to install a macosx on the dellmini9. I managed to get working all stuff until I've to install the combo 10.5.8 update on a dellmini9 with 8gb sdd (!). I simply have not enough space. I know this is not a new problem but I've tried all steps, including:

1. Customizing the installation (No Dicitionary, additional language, Fonts, iChat and so one)
2. Monolingual to clean up the language support included in itunes and mail
3. cleanmymac and xslime to get rid of more componets I don't even know
4. Diseable hibernate but there was no file in /var/vm/sleepimage, only a swap file around 64mb which I couldn't delete

After all I've got 2,3 gb free space and the combo update needs to have at least 2,4 gb so where to I get the additional 126 mb (quote installer).
I counldn't believe I'm failing about 126 mb.

Cheers Tristan
  (#2) Old
Default 09-19-2009, 12:52 AM

Did you try some of the suggestions listed in the link below re: printer drivers, speech modules, fonts, etc?

Five ways to slim down your Mac OS X install - Ars Technica

Also: xslimmer and similar should help. But, you might get that small extra amount you need via the suggestions in the link.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | 2GB | 16GB STEC | .3Mp | No BT |
BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: OFF | Bluetooth: OFF | NBI .8.4 RC1.1 (20100616212351)
Sleep: Working | Speakers: Working | Headphone Jack: Working
  (#3) Old
Default 09-19-2009, 03:06 PM

It does't work, thanks anyway. Instead I installed snow leopard, so I don't have to upgrade such a hugh file. Only problem is the sound ... I knew there is workaround but the speakers keep rustle if installing the voodoo drivers.

« Vostro A90 - Fresh Intall of SL with No Mac? | Mini 9+SL+VMWare Fusion »