Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default Vostro A90 - Fresh Intall of SL with No Mac? - 09-14-2009, 03:35 PM

Been trolling for a week or so in preparation of building a Hackintosh to use for iPhone development. Unable to shell out the $$ for the "real thing" for the time being, so trying to do the budget version.

Ordered the SL retail upgrade disk, an 8-gig USB drive & a refurb Vostro with Ubuntu (which I have dual-boot on my desktop and also have installed on many family hardware setups, btw).

My question is: Can I use downloaded TransMac to create the USB image and then proceed as detailed in the excellent guide Or do I need a Mac to run the NetbookBootMaker to patch the image?

There is a severe shortage of Mac-availability in my area, and I really would like to make the Hackintosh happen, so any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

P.S.: I really respect the frank discussions related to ethics and I fully intend to buy the full set when finances permit to assuage my own conscience. (Single-mom-on-a-budget)
  (#2) Old
Default 09-17-2009, 11:29 PM

You need a valid Leopard install in order to legally install snow leopard.
  (#3) Old
Default 09-17-2009, 11:42 PM

this probelry would be the best option for me, im using mac osx 10.5.8 and the bootmaker isnt working for me, i have access to a windows 7 machine if transmac works then maybe I could install the files on that, i already have the image on my usb device

Dell Mini 9 - 16GB RunCore SSD - 1GB Ram - 3G Vodafone Broadband - Bluetooth - 0.3MP Webcam
OS - OsX Snow Leopard. / Currently testing Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
  (#4) Old
Default 09-18-2009, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by David S. View Post
You need a valid Leopard install in order to legally install snow leopard.
Quick call the internet police.

I think we're all aware of the legal issues involved.

So unless this site deletes all of the guides on installing the software on non Mac equipment your post is hardly constructive or informative.

I'm also curious on doing an install on my Dell Mini9 without having a Mac handy. I purchased a fully licensed retail Snow Leopard disc to get in on some iPhone development but have had trouble getting Transmac to install the latest NetbookBootMaker on a USB key.

Does anyone have a useable method to install without first having access to a working Mac? using either Vista, XP or Linux
  (#5) Old
Default 09-18-2009, 08:27 PM

@ David:

That was the set to which I was referring; I just can't afford it all at once. As has been discussed elsewhere in the forum, the entire proposal is a grey area.

If I can get it going, I'll post my steps.

« netbook bootmaker crashing :/ | how the get rid of more unnecessary mac componets »