Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default Delete Key behaving strangely - 09-05-2009, 04:38 PM

Hi. I have completed the instructions to covert my Dell Mini 9 to using OS X 10.7 and everything works except the three keys on the top right hand corner (hyphen/underscore, plus/equals, backspace). Whenever I use these keys they work but they add a hypen (for example, if I click the backspace it completes the backspace but then adds a hyphen).

Occasionally, if I click on one of these keys then it adds multiple hyphens (as if the hyphen key was stuck). Other times the keys work as expected (but not very often).

I have tried to find a solution but can't locate one. Has anybody experienced this problem before? Suggestions? Ideas?

(#2) Old
Default 09-05-2009, 09:05 PM

Sounds like a hardware problem to me, mate. I'd try booting another OS - perhaps a Linux live CD or even a DOS floppy - and verify whether it does the same thing; I'll bet it does. Might be worth giving that area of the keyboard a good blast with a can of compressed air before resorting toa service call.

White Mini 9 | 2GB Transcend RAM | 16GB RunCore | 16GB Patriot Class 6 SDHC | Internal BT | 1505 802.11n | BIOS A05 | OS X 10.5.8
Thinking of trying Dropbox? Use this referal link and we'll both get an extra 250MB of storage.
  (#3) Old
Default 09-06-2009, 03:58 PM

Aussie, as jetkins is suggesting - might be a H/W problem? Did you have the keyboard out for any kind of hardware upgrade where it may have gotten tweaked on dis-or-reassembly?

There are disassembly instructions floating around here on the forums, might be worth taking apart and checking for issues with a careful reassemble.

2GB RAM 32GB RunCore OS X 10.5.8 NetbookInstaller 0.8.2 Final Internal Bluetooth Webcam
Mini10v 2GB RAM 160GB HDD OS X 10.6.3
NetbookInstaller 0.8.4 RC1 Internal Bluetooth Webcam
  (#4) Old
Expert Member
Default 09-06-2009, 06:25 PM

If those keys are indeed the 3 right most upper keys, then you have an international and not US keyboard. Check out the replacement keyboard over in the mini9 hardware forum. I think it lists the magic keyboard combo to press at boot time to tell the mini which keyboard you have. Even if you just have the regular keyboard there is a key combo for that and perhaps that will help you with your keyboard problem.

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral

« Early reserve battery warning then low performance for 1h... | Netbook Installer broke USB Audio Devices..? »