Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default 2 USB Method Help (Windows) - 09-04-2009, 01:39 AM

Alright, I had issues using the 2 USB method and I also tried the external USB DVD drive method with no luck.

The external DVD Drive method gave me an kernel failure: linux, IIRC.

Now, I do have 2 usb drives so I moved onto that method. A 1 gig stick and an 8 gig stick.

I followed these steps posted by Katte in a smiliar thread:

"You must do this to create the USB bootloader:

1) download the dellminiboot from here:
2)unzip it and mount the ISO with a prog like UltraISO, PowerISO, alchool52% (there are a lot)
3)copy the content of the ISO (NOT the ISO itself) on your USB pen.
4) download the syslinux program and unzip it
5) run dos promp and type syslinux -ma f:

now you have the bootable USB pen to begin the OSX installation (with another 8GB pen or usb DVD reader)

You must not copy the syslinux file on you usb pen. on the pen you must copy the file from the dellminiboot iso (point1-2-3) BEFORE you run prompt to run syslinux -ma f:

Hope it helps"

I've set my Dell Mini 9 to boot from USB storage and it just goes straight to Operating System Not Found upon booting up, pressing '0', and then selecting USB Storage as the boot option.

I've extracted the DellMiniBootISO using PowerISO. I loaded the ISO and copied the files and folders onto the 1 gig stick. I ran the SysLinux trick for my 1 gig stick. I used TransMac to copy my DVD image and OSXDVD to my 8 gig stick which it says to at the bottom of this guide:

Old Full | Guides | OS X | mechdrew

Could anybody offer any ideas as to how to get this moving?
  (#2) Old
Default 09-04-2009, 01:52 AM

Ok, I got this far:

"You should see some text about loading initrd.img, and when that is done you may see an error about not loading correctly, this is absolutely normal so ignore it. Press "Esc" (Escape) when you get to the boot prompt and then type in either 80, 81, or 82 to find the drive with the DVD files on it. Press Enter, and you will now proceed with the Mac OS X Installer"

It asks me to install foreign OS and then I hit escape and it asks me to type either 80, 81, or 82. Neither option gets me anywhere.

My 8 gig stick does blink like it's being accessed but then it stops and the screen comes back asking:

"Press Enter to start up Darwin/x86 with no options, or you can:
Type -v and press Enter to start up with diagnostic messages
Type ? and press Enter to learn about advanced start-up options

boot: _ "

Neither of those options actually work.

So, I got far enough to have my Dell Mini 9 recognize the 1 gig USB stick in order to load the SysLinux/DellMiniBootISO trick.

Any ideas as to what's causing it to stick before the install? Did I create my OS X stick wrong?
  (#3) Old
Default 09-04-2009, 02:27 PM

"I'm afraid I prematurely shot my wad on what was supposed to be a dry run, if you will, so I'm afraid I have something of a mess on my hands." - Tobias Funke

I believe my OS X is 10.5.6 and not earlier which would explain why the DellMiniBootISO method is not working. (I hope). I will try to use the updated DellMiniBootISO later on today.

Edit: Spoke too soon. This method is still not working for me whatsoever. I'm lost.

« Mac OS X Iso | Touchpad control on Mini 9 with OS X »