Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default A few questions - 09-04-2009, 12:55 AM

Ok so I got OSX 10.5.x (x < 8, how do I check?) installed and a few things don't quite work. A) I can't mount dmg disk images because "the device is not configured" B) USB only works if I boot with a drive in the USB port (any way to fix?) and C) Netbook installer does not recognize my SSD Are there any known fixes for these? I'd like to get the OS updated to 10.5.8 which, from what I read, is doable. Really I can live with all this but it's less than great. Also is it safe to update via software update?
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default 09-05-2009, 03:18 AM

You need to update to 10.5.8. I know, "But I can't open the disk image!" your scream. Just take it to another Mac, open the image, and then copy the package inside it to your flash drive. As you noted, you'll need to have it plugged in before the Mini boots up so it will be recognized by the OS. Once you install the Update, you'll need to boot into Safe Mode and then you can run NetbookInstaller to make everything work right. Here's a step-by-step guide to the Combo Update process. Once this is finished all of your problems will be gone. Also, you can use Software Update for all updates EXCEPT 10.5.x updates, i.e. from 10.5.6 to 10.5.8. You should do that manually, as described in the link.

On a related note, you definitely don't have 10.5.6 since that version of the DVD does not have this issue. You must have 10.5.0 or 10.5.4. Not really important, but still nice to know. The version should have been noted on the left side of the DVD.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#3) Old
Default 09-09-2009, 11:26 PM

A thousand thanks. After scaring the **** out of me by not booting into safe mode the first time, all is well

« ACK!! Used XSlimmer on Mini 9 and after reboot it can't find the OS!!! HELP! | 10.5.8 sleep issues »