Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default Intermittently hanging at the Apple screen - 09-01-2009, 03:10 PM

I installed OS X 10.5.6 on my mini 9 using DellEFI1.25 and was all working swimmingly, but now, twice in two days, when booting, the system is hanging on the Apple logo (the spinning wheel does not appear and start turning). If I switch the computer off and on again it boots normally and everything works fine.

The only common denominator is that on both occasions, the computer had been left for a while switched off, but plugged in.

What happens is the Dell logo comes up, followed by the Bootloader and then the Apple logo proper, which it stalls on.

As I say, it boots on the second go, and if I reboot a few times in quick succession, they all work too. But it's slightly worrying and I was wondering if perhaps anyone might have any insight?

My limited knowledge makes me think either a hardware component not seated (but strange that it would boot immediately the second time), not being able to access the SSD (for some reason?), something like that.

dell mini 9 - 8gb ssd - 2gb ram - mac os x 10.5.6
  (#2) Old
Default 09-01-2009, 03:45 PM

I think I've seen the same problem as you have.

Sorry, can't totally confirm or provide a solution, but, it appears that I too have seen the freezing at the Apple logo when the machine has been plugged in for a while while off.

I have not seen this often due to my Mini is off power most of the time. Only time it is on power is when I'm going to do something time or power consuming (eg. Time Machine backup, software installs, SuperDuper).

The good news, my Mini has been, otherwise, starting up flawlessly.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | 2GB | 16GB STEC | .3Mp | No BT |
BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: OFF | Bluetooth: OFF | NBI .8.4 RC1.1 (20100616212351)
Sleep: Working | Speakers: Working | Headphone Jack: Working
  (#3) Old
Default 09-01-2009, 06:45 PM

Thanks, I think I'll keep it unplugged while switched off then, probably best

dell mini 9 - 8gb ssd - 2gb ram - mac os x 10.5.6
  (#4) Old
Default 09-01-2009, 07:17 PM

Sleep works so well on the mini9 that I seldom shut it down, but I too can confirm that if the machine is off and has been plugged in for a while you may hang at boot.

I've been trying to figure this out for awhile.. Well my battery died last night and I plugged it in for about an hour before trying to boot, and sure enough the spinning wheel never showed up at the gray Apple boot screen. Good catch, maybe someone can now fix it?

mini9 | 32gb runcore | 2gb | osx 10.6.2 | nbi 0.8.3 | a05
  (#5) Old
Default 09-02-2009, 11:46 PM

same thing here.

I guess it's nothing new

Black Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.5.7 | DellEFI 1.2a5 | BIOS Version 5 | 16 GB SSD | 2 Gigs Ram | BT | 1.3MP Cam

« Seemingly Random Freezes after | External monitor question »