Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default Cannot fit to screen, make changes, or close large windows - 08-29-2009, 04:52 PM

Hi, Thanks to this forum i successfully have 10.5.8 on my mini 9. One of the few problems that i have is that when I come across some windows, they cannot fully fit in my 1024x600 resolution, for example certain ones in the system preferences, or this time, its the "welcome to pages" window...I cant get rid of it because the options to "never show this message again" check box is in the very bottom & i cant reach it because its slightly buried below the bottom of the screen.

I wonder if i am the only one with the problem.
  (#2) Old
Default 08-29-2009, 06:18 PM

You can scale your display to simulate screens of various sizes. Put this into applescript script editor and save it as an application. Now when you need to run an app that doesn't fit on the screen, run the app THEN run the application that doesn't normally fit. It will not scale already running applications, only ones run after it's been launched. Run it again to restore to standard scale. Works great! You can adjust the percent of scaling to whatever you want but I find that .8 works for everything I need. Even works well with photobooth.

display dialog "Set Screen Scale Temporarily" buttons {"Normal", "0.8"} with icon stop
set userChoice to button returned of result
if userChoice = "Normal" then
do shell script "defaults write -g AppleDisplayScaleFactor 1.0"
else if userChoice = "0.8" then
do shell script "defaults write -g AppleDisplayScaleFactor .8"
end if

Black Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.2 | 2Gb RAM | 16Gb STEC SSD | 32Gb Class 6 SDHC | BIOS A06 | 1.3MPx Camera | no WWAN | NBI 0.8.4pre | Vodoo AppleHDA update - Mic/Speaker - External/Internal Working | VodooPower Mini | SleepEnabler | SleepWatcher | Monolingual | Flashed Dell WiFi to think its an Airport Extreme | USB BIOS Legacy Support: Disabled | USB Wake Support: Disabled | All other BIOS settings at default
***Only thing that doesn't work is Display Mirroring***
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 08-29-2009, 06:49 PM

Nice writeup FJMartin

I had lost that AppleScript

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#4) Old
Default 08-31-2009, 01:34 AM

Thanks a lot for helpin, Fjmartin,
  (#5) Old
Default 10-06-2009, 12:39 AM

Anyone get this to work with Garage Band? I tried .5 but the bottom still extends beyond the screen
  (#6) Old
Default Garage Band - 11-03-2009, 09:18 PM

I can't get garage band to show the bottom buttons either. Hard to record without are record button.

« Complete failure to upgrade from 10.5.7 to 10.6 | Running Drive Utilities on Hackintosh »