Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#21) Old
Default 08-29-2009, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by jebni View Post
No, this is a very different kind of blurry -- I gather that most of the people reporting fuzziness are running at the correct, maximum resolution of their external monitors, and know exactly what OS X font antialiasing looks like. I think we're all talking about a noisy VGA signal.
Yep, I second this. I'm having the same problem under Win7 (i know this is the OSX forum). I've tried 3 different monitors, some new some old, different VGA cables, different resolutions/refresh rates, video card drivers, and monitor drivers (which i've never needed before - it either autodetects or goes PnP). Nothing gets it looking as sharp as the inbuilt display, or as sharp as other systems I get the same monitors connected to (my desktop, or an IBM Thinkpad t30, both over VGA).

It is rather frustrating, as having it connected to an external monitor is greatly preferred, until it starts to give me migraines... I think it's definitely hardware related.

Update: Found this review ( -

"Next we look at the external VGA connection to an external monitor. The video output of the GMA950 was very good up to 1280x1024, after that the video started to get somewhat fuzzy and blurry. I can only surmise that the GMA950 is not meant to handle higher resolutions. This won't be a concern for most people, as hooking it up to an external monitor is not what this little gem was designed to do, but if you need to, you can, and at a reasonable resolution."

Well, I for one see the problem at any resolution -800x600, 1024x768, or 1280x1024.

« Success: posting from Vostro A90 | What do I need Exactly »