Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old
Default Crash after installing updates - 08-22-2009, 07:16 AM

I've had a Mini 9 since December, haven't done too much with it, mostly used it for travel and playing music. I heard about the OS X upgrade, though, and decided to give it a shot, though I'm not very technically knowledgeable. I bought a retail copy of 10.5.6 and used the Type11 method to install it. At first, everything was kosher, but when I did a software update, when I rebooted I got a grey screen with a few hazy lines and the system was essentially nonresponsive (though the mouse pointer would move around). I figured I did something wrong, so I did another install--same problem. I reinstalled one more time (am actually using it now to type this), but haven't run software upgrade (and won't until I can find some advice). Has anyone else run into this or have solutions/suggestions?

Here are my machine specs (please let me know if you need further info):
*Mini 9
*32 GB hard drive
*2 GB memory (I upgraded last week)
*OS X 10.5.6
*I don't know my BIOS, though since I got the machine in December, it's probably not current--I am planning on doing the A05 upgrade that's given in the Guides section of the forum but I'm at my girlfriend's house and don't have a flash drive with me

My thought was to try the BIOS upgrade, but if others have suggestions I welcome them entirely. Also, when I closed the lid my Mini went to sleep and wouldn't wake up, but I gather that that's a whole problem to itself and I'll leave it be for now (unless someone wants to offer a good solution for that as well).

Thanks in advance for the help.
  (#2) Old
Default 08-22-2009, 01:13 PM

Read here for instructions to upgrade-
10.5.8 is out.... how to upgrade

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB Runcore | 2 GIGS RAM
10V | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351 |BIOS 06|160 GB|1 GIG RAM| 6 Cell Dell Battery
Functioning Hibernation

Back up Mini 9| OS X 10.6.7| NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB SuperTalent | 2 GIGS RAM

« Mini 9 upgrade | Mini 9 osx install fails on address book »