Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old
Default How hard is it to add WWAN PCI connector - 06-20-2009, 11:12 PM

I'm intrested in having the internal SD card reader with the MR04 adapter, just curious how hard it is to add the PCI connecter in the WWAN spot of a non preconfig WWAN Mini 9
  (#2) Old
Default 06-20-2009, 11:32 PM

EASY -> if you take the entire computer apart so you can get a soldering iron on the left side pins (where they are partially covered by the bottom plastics). (Assumes you don't think taking the computer apart is "difficult")

MEDIUM -> if you keep the computer assembled, and just solder in the minimum required pins (pwr/gnd/usb etc) as described in the Internal SD Card thread

HARD -> if you don't have any prior experience soldering small pins/pads

Overall, if you have the time/patience/skills ... then "just do it". Then you can add many mini-pci-e usb type cards in the slot (i.e. MR04, internal gps, hub, etc). Its a great way to have USB available.

(Don't forget, any card installed in the new WWAN area needs the standoffs for support, so you need to source and solder them in as well)

Dell Mini 9 (96Gb) | White | SL 10.6.5 + Win7 Pro using EasyBCD 2.0 | 2G GSkill 667 RAM | No Webcam | BIOS A05 | 32G Runcore SSD | 32G SDHC (ext) | 32G SDHC (int w/ MR04 Card) | 1505 802.11n | Internal BT | Chrome Apple Logo
Dell Vostro A90 (96Gb) | SL 10.6.5 | 2G HyperX | 0.3Webcam | BIOS A04 | 64G Runcore SSD | 32G SDHC (ext) | and other stock features
  (#3) Old
Default 06-21-2009, 02:09 AM

^just noticed the link in your signature, thanks!

« portable power units revisited | My mini9 (with built-in wwan) unable to recognice sierra mc8781 , option378 wwan card »