Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old
Default Upgrading my SSD. - 05-20-2009, 08:13 PM

I have a few questions...

#1. What are the current "reliable" SSDs that are available for the Mini 9 that are 16-32 GB? I hear Runcore has Quality Control issues, and I'm unsure if the Supertalent SSDs actually fit the Mini 9.

#2. I have Ubuntu 9.04 on my Mini 9 and I'm wondering if there is a way I can clone it so I don't have to do all the installations/settings/etc. again because I am upgrading to a bigger Solid State Drive. Got any ideas?
  (#2) Old
Default 05-20-2009, 10:48 PM

Okay, I've decided on going for a Supertalent SSD, but I still have no idea how to clone my install/settings/etc. Anyone have ideas?
  (#3) Old
Default 05-20-2009, 10:58 PM

If the SSD you choose does not have a built-in USB port the way the RunCores do, you're going to have to a backup to some external media and then a restore. I've heard of dd being used for Linux.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#4) Old
Default 05-21-2009, 12:44 AM

In general, when I get a new drive, I like to perform a fresh install. Then I copy select files/folders from the old home directory to keep the important settings, like Firefox bookmarks and such. And tools like Synaptic and apt-get make reinstalling applications quick and easy.

But if you want to image the old drive over, that's possible too.

If you have the original drive set up as a single partition and the new drive has a USB port, then you can:
  1. boot off a Live USB drive (to ensure that the SSD is inactive)
  2. connect the new drive via USB
  3. copy the entire old drive to the new with "dd" ("sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdc bs=512K" will copy the entire /dev/sda drive to /dev/sdc, make triple-sure you have the right device names before executing dd with superuser privileges and have backups, too)
  4. use GParted to grow the partition to fit the new drive (since dd is too dumb to deal with growing or shrinking filesystems).

If the new drive doesn't have a USB port, you'll have to save the image to a file on a USB or network drive. Then install the new drive, boot off USB again, and then copy the image to the new drive.

If the old drive has multiple partitions that need to be preserved, a smarter tool like partimage might be a better choice.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

« Need Suggestions on 2GB RAM and 32GB SSD | ssd upgrade trouble - won't boot from alternate location »